Facebook Pixel

Urinary Tract Infection: How Can A Woman Advocate For Her Health? - Dr. Akl

By Expert
Rate This

Dr. Akl explains the best way for a woman to advocate for herself when she suspects she has a urinary tract infection (UTI) and recalls the most effective treatment options.

Dr. Akl:
If a woman suspects that she has the symptoms of a urinary tract infection she should see her physician to get a urine test, which is a urine culture and sensitivity, to get the appropriate treatment with an appropriate antibiotic based on the results of the urine culture and sensitivity rather than seeking over-the-counter bladder remedies and/or antibiotics empirically.

Generally, a urinary tract infection is treated with a short course of oral antibiotics. However, if the urinary tract infection extends to the kidneys a condition called the pyelonephritis can occur, which is more serious condition which needs admission to the hospital for intravenous antibiotics and imaging of the kidneys, if needed.

About Dr. Mohamed Akl, M.D.:
Dr. Mo Akl is board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology and fellowship trained in Urogynecology and Pelvic Reconstructive surgery. Dr. Akl completed four years of residency training in general Obstetrics and Gynecology at Hurley Medical Center affiliated with Michigan State University followed by an additional three years of fellowship training in urogynecology and pelvic reconstructive surgery at the renowned Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, one of the best training institutions in urogynecology, pelvic surgery, laparoscopic and da Vinci robotic surgery.

Visit Dr. Akl at the AZ Urogynecology & Pelvic Health Center

Add a CommentComments

There are no comments yet. Be the first one and get the conversation started!

Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy