Autism is a neurobehavioral disorder and one among the many developmental conditions grouped together and known as autism spectrum disorder (ASD). It was estimated several years back that an average of one in 110 children in the U.S alone suffer from ASD (source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Report Title: Prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorders --- Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, United States, 2006; Corresponding author: Catherine Rice, PhD, National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities; URL: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5810a1.htm), but the statistics today are at one in 58 for boys and one in 91 for girls (Source: Report Title: Latest Autism Statistics. News--Medical Watch on WGNTV.com. URL: http://www.wgntv.com/news/medicalwatch/wgntv-autism-numbers-oct5,0,2441399.story ). It has been observed that male children are more prone to be afflicted with ASD conditions than their female counterparts.
Here is a brief on some of the symptoms that are visible in children suffering from autistic disorders. They may exhibit some or a combination of these signs:
1. Diminished response rates to stimuli in a social set up or surroundings.
2. Low levels of interaction with children their own age.
3. Children afflicted with ASD may smile less and respond fewer times to their names being called and/or make little eye contact.
4. Such children may also have lower face recognition though they are strongly attached to their primary caregivers.
5. They may have language and speech development delays.
6. ASD children may not respond corresponding to the question being asked to them or topic being talked about.
7. They may prefer to be alone and may resist affectionate body touch.
8. The ASD child may demonstrate unusual and occasionally compulsive behaviors.
9. They may have a narrow but consumed interest in a thing or two.
10. Repetitive patterns of behavior such as stacking things in order, rocking back and forth or moving around in circles often.
11. ASD children often exhibit poor muscle tone and motor abilities.