12 day period?!?!

I just recently started birth control, about mid cycle because my doctor said I should be fine. But two days before my period started I had extreme cramping in my hips and lower stomach that haven't stopped yet. I also started becoming very depressed and having hot flashes on a regular basis. What should I do ?

Thanks for your question! You shouldn't be bleeding for 12 days straight. Not every woman is a suitable candidate for every kind of birth control pill and you may be one. I think it's a good idea to call your doctor and see if this bleeding is due to your new pill - but either way, you need a check up.