7 week u/s with no heartbeat?

By May 18, 2012 - 9:49am

Hi! I'm new here and am supposed to be 7 weeks' pregnant (via IUI). This Mon. I went to my 1st u/s, in the beginning my RE said 1 of my fibroids ( I've 2 6cm fibroids) is kind of blocking the sac so she couldn't see it clearly. No heartbeat was heard. Then she brought in a new u/s machine and a tech. RE wasn't familiar with how to use the new machine so the tech was helping her out. Then they were messing around with the new machine (zooming etc.). Obviously they were able to see a sac this time, and were able to zoom. HOWEVER, the tech said the sac is measuring 6 weeks at most :( . The tech did suggest RE to ask me to hold my breath to try to hear the h/b but RE didn't do so. So again, no heartbeat was heard.

After the tech left with the new machine, RE told me there're 2 possibilities. 1. the sac/ fetus is developing slower than expected; 2. I miscarried. I was sad and shocked to hear that and I told her that I didn't feel anything if I miscarried (no bleeding/ severe pain etc.)? RE said it can be too early on for me to feel anything. Anyways she asked me to have another hcg level test and go back next Monday. She said after 1 week, she should be able to see/ hear something. And she continued to say that since I did IUI, I should be 7 weeks or a few days off at most, and even so she should be able to hear the heartbeat earlier :(. So that's really bad news.

It turned out my hch level is still ok. My 1st one was 675 (dpiui 15), 2nd 2068 (dpiui 17) and the one done this Mon. was 29700. The nurse told me they appear to be normal.

So do you have similar experience? What do you think? I wonder if it's my fibroids blocking so the measurement is off or it's affecting the h/b detection. But they were using a totally new machine... It's just RE didn't even try to hear the h/b with the new machine. I guess maybe she thought the sac was too small? Also can the time be off if I do IUI ? Like I'm actually not 7 weeks (it was the 1st day of week 7 on the day of u/s)?

I'm really worried. Please share with me your experience or what you think. Thanks a lot!

Hi again!

What a wonderful update and for giving up this information! Congratulations on your baby and we wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Hi Ladies,
In case you are reading this post, I just wanted to report my u/s from this morning. You know what... I'm so happy & relieved!

So I went into the room. But RE found out it's me and she knew my fibroid was blocking the sac from last time. So she asked me to go to another room cuz that u/s machine works a little better. She told me the one they were using last time was a trial and they were only thinking to buy it.

Anyways... more hassle and I finally settled down in the other room. At 1st, RE did the u/s vaginally. She told me she saw the fetus this time. But the fibroid is blocking still and she can't see it very clearly. She did show me on the screen too. And we saw the heartbeat on the screen. But again not very clear and we couldn't get to hear the heartbeat and she said it's hard to measure. So she decided to try abdominal u/s. You know what... it's MUCH better, to our surprise! We thought vaginal u/s was better but for my case, it's not. So we saw our little bean clearly on the screen, and we got to hear the heartbeat too! Oh my!

She then said that the bean is measured at 7 weeks 3 days. So you know I was supposed to be the 1st day of 8 weeks today, so obviously it's a few days behind and maybe that's why she couldn't see anything clearly even with that new trial u/s machine last week. Besides we didn't use abdominal scan last time. Oh yes, and the heartbeat is strong at 172 bpm. RE said everything looks good!
So for other ladies who are in the same situation, don't give up yet! Maybe your RE/ Dr just can't see it clearly yet! Best of luck to those who are in similar situation!

Hi whenismyturn

It sounds like your ultrasound just wasn't done correctly, with a lot of fumbling around and guess work.

Since your hcg levels are growing substantially, that's good news!

Miscarriage at this early stage would not necessarily be terribly painful - it could be like a heavy period with cramping and some women need this to be induced, by taking medication if the miscarriage isn't happening on it's own.

But it sounds like the nurse is also unsure about what it exactly going on. I know this is going to be a hard weekend for you, while you wait for further testing on Monday.

I hope some readers who have experienced something similar can help you out here with their stories. Until then, there is nothing you can do to prevent a miscarriage or cause one, or even help the pregnancy along. At this stage, your body is on it's own to either accept this pregnancy as viable, or otherwise.

Hang on until Monday and post anytime you like - we're here for support. Please update us on Monday, as soon as you can.