Kidney Failure

Kidney Failure Guide

ask: ACV is supposed to be a miracle cure for kidney problems...is it the same if a person is in kidney failure as it has high potassium?

I am trying to find a way to help my mom look after my dad who is 79 and in renal failure on the verge of having to go for dialysis. She is at her wits end as to what foods to give him. He is in a depression and very dependent on her, so I am scouring the internet to find something that might help her.
I hope that this question is appropriate for this site, as it seems to be for women only....sorry if I am out of line.
Many thanks,
Michelle

Anonymous

my mom is suffering from kidney problem , she's creatinine level is high and her foot,hands swealing. wt can I do ,Financialy I am poor .

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Making dietary changes as listed above can help your mom but she has to see a doctor. Can you get her to a free clinic or hospital near you? It's very important.

Hi Michelle

Thanks for your post and thank you for caring so much about your Dad! This site is for anyone with a health issue or some information to share!

Apple cider vinegar is thought to be great for a lot of conditions, including those of the kidneys, but is not a miracle cure. There is no miracle cure for chronic kidney failure, unfortunately.

We have a lot of information regarding treatment for kidney failure that I'd like you to read here:

Most chronic kidney diseases are not reversible. But, there are treatments that may be used to help preserve as much kidney function as possible. In the cases of acute renal failure , treatment focuses on the illness or injury that caused the problem.
General Measures

* Restricting fluids
* Doing daily weight checks
* Eating a high-carbohydrate, low-protein diet

Medications

Medications used in acute or chronic kidney failure may include:

* Diuretics —to flush out the kidneys, increase urine flow, and rid the body of excess sodium (eg, furosemide , mannitol )
* Dopamine, atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP)—to dilate blood vessels in the kidneys, increase urine flow, flush out sodium
* Blood pressure medications (eg, ACE inhibitors)
* Sodium polystyrene sulfonate or insulin in dextrose—to control high potassium levels
* Calcium acetate —to control high phosphorus levels

Talk to your doctor other medications that your are taking. These include prescribed and over-the-counter medications, as well as herbs and supplements. Since the kidneys are no longer working properly, waste can build up in your body.
Dialysis

Dialysis is a process that takes over for the kidneys and filters waste from the blood. This may be done for short-term, until kidney function improves. Or, it may be done you have a kidney transplant .
Kidney Transplant

This may be the right option for some patients. Having a successful transplant depends on many factors, such as what is causing the kidney damage and your overall health.
Blood Tests

Your doctor will monitor these blood levels:

* Sodium
* Potassium
* Calcium
* Phosphate
* Red blood cells
o Your doctor may inject a hormone called erythropoietin to help manage anemia .
* Hematocrit
* Platelets

Lifestyle Changes

The following are steps to help your kidneys stay healthy longer:

* Have your blood pressure checked regularly. Take medication to control high blood pressure.
* If you have diabetes, control your blood sugar. Ask your doctor for help.
* Avoid the chronic use of pain medications.
* If you have chronic kidney disease, you may need to limit how much protein you eat. Talk to a dietician.
* Limit how much cholesterol and sodium you eat.
* If you have severe kidney disease, limit how much potassium you eat. If your kidneys are failing, get help from a dietician.

If you are diagnosed with kidney failure, follow your doctor's instructions .

Michelle, you can read a lot more on our Kidney Failure page here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/kidney-failure

Apple cider vinegar is a good purifier and is used to detoxify but with regard to your dad's health - he would need to talk to his doctor about how much would be safe to take as you are correct - it contains a large amount of potassium.

Here are three articles about foods (lots of cranberries, blackberries, blueberries and pomegranate!) that are good for kidney health: http://www.empowher.com/holistic-health/content/kidney-yin-deficiency-re...

http://www.empowher.com/holistic-health/content/kidneys-and-adrenals-tra...

http://www.davita.com/diet-and-nutrition/lifestyle/a/2113

Michelle, let me know if this helps and if I can help you more!

~Susan

CORDYCEPS MIGHT HELP WITH KIDNEY PROBLEMS.

moonberry (reply to Susan Cody)

Hi Susan,

Words cannot express my gratitude to you for your kind and very informative response to my question. Today my dad was taken into the ER and is being monitored overnight as he has a terrible pain on his lower left side. It is very difficult at this moment because I am working as a carer in the UK and my folks are in the US. I am planning to fly over there as soon as I can be relieved of my duties here. I certainly will heed your advice and also do a lot more reading on the subject. Thankyou for the time you have taken in putting forward all this wonderful information.
Wishing you well....
with love
Michelle

Do you suffer from springtime allergies?: