After having a bladder lift about two years ago I have painful intercourse

I had a bladder lift about two years ago because when I sneezed or coughed I leaked.

Even since the bladder lift I have no desire for sex as it hurts if my husband is to rub up against me.

Is this normal? Can a bladder lift be removed?

It hurts when he rubs on the outside. Thanks so much!

I am having the same problem. I had my bladder lift about 1 1/2 years ago. I am going to see a new urologist in August but does anyone know why the pain is so bad when my husband rubs up against me.

(reply to damsimon)

Thanks so much for your question. First of all, I'm really glad that you're going to see a new urologist in August. I hope that he or she can help you fix this problem, because painful intercourse (especially when it was fine before) is such a difficult thing to deal with, both personally and with your partner, even when your partner is very understanding.

When you say it hurts when your husband rubs up against you, are you meaning when he rubs up against you on the outside? Or the inside? I guess what I'm asking is this: I understand that sex is painful, but are you also saying that you have pain when you feel pressure from outside your body?

I found lots of places on the internet where women were experiencing chronic pelvic pain of one kind or another after a bladder lift. Some seemed due to how and where the mesh was inserted. Others seemed to have problems with urination and pain. Because the bladder is basically lifted and fastened back into place, it seems like there are cases where things were fastened too tightly, where tissue or tendons or muscles were stretched and now cause pain.

I'll see if we can get one of our EmpowHer experts to weigh in on what causes painful intercourse after a bladder lift. Please check back here in a few days, OK?

Hi, Anon,

Welcome to EmpowHer. I'm so sorry you're having this problem. Let's see what we can find for you.

Painful intercourse is listed as a possible side effect of the surgery, but it doesn't seem to be common, especially not two years past surgery. Because the bladder and vagina are next to one another, it's easy to see how it could happen, though. My thoughts are that something is pulled too tight, perhaps, leaving no room for flexibility during intercourse. Is this what it feels like?

Have you asked your doctor about this pain? What does she or he say about it?

Was your procedure the vaginal sling procedure? Or an open abdominal procedure?

I couldn't find references to bladder lift reversal or cystocele reversal; I am assuming that once it's done, to reverse it would leave you in worse shape (regarding incontinence) than you were to begin with, and that instead of reversing it, a doctor would simply try to do it again in such a way that you had more comfort. I would like to submit your question to one of our experts to see what they might say. Please get back to me with what your doctor has said about this and what sort of procedure you had, and I'll see if we can get someone who is familiar with this surgery to weigh in for you.

Anonymous (reply to Diane Porter)

It is strange I seem to have the same thing about a year later. It seems every time we have sex I end up in pain the next day. don't understand. Annette