After removal of a brain tumour, I use a low dose of ibuprofen. I am also 37. Is pregnancy a safe option?

By March 6, 2010 - 2:26pm

Two years ago I had an acoustic neuroma removed. All is well. I still take one 200 mg ibuprofen in the morning and one in the evening on good days. On some days I take more as well as paracetamol. In the last 2 yrs I have gone cold turkey once or twice and found life quite hard! I am also 37. Is it foolish of me to be feeling a desire to have another baby? If I cannot stop my use of ibuprofen, what risk would this have for a growing fetus?

Yours faithfully,

Thank you so much. I have an appointment tomorrow morning with a female GP to talk about all this. I had no idea there might be a 'safe' painkiller. I had thought it would be a need to have no painkiller or no baby. I am aware that ideally it is no tablets, when pregnant with my daughter I abstained from anything and everything! But to hear that there is a window of possibility is quite wonderful! I shall jot down what you have said as I stand zero chance of remembering!

Many thanks again,
Kirsten :)

(reply to kirsten 37)

Please let us know how your appointment goes Monday morning!

Hi Kirsten

Thanks for your question and welcome.

How wonderful to read that you are doing well since your tumor removal!

Women are having children into their 40s now so "normal" is in the eye of the beholder. 37 is by no means old so of course it's normal! Many women love to add to their families - I know I did. Besides, the decision is yours and your husbands alone and is no-one else's business!

Unfortunately, you will have to find a painkiller other than ibuprofen if you become pregnant, especially when you take it on such a regular basis. The risks in the first two trimesters are not clear but most doctors advise against it's use due to the known risks in the third trimester. Many doctors recommend acetaminophen instead (Tylenol).

Ibuprofen in the third trimester can be dangerous. It has some similar properties to a drug called indomethacin that can cause heart defects in babies.

Talk to your doctor about moving on to a different pain killer (one that is considered safe in pregnancy) before you become pregnant. This way you'll know if it works for you and you'll be able to continue it's use while pregnant.

I wish you the very best!

Brain Tumors

Brain Tumors Guide