Air travel and constipation

By April 30, 2010 - 6:37am

I am prone to diverticulitis. Travel seems to aggravate the situation because of likliehood of constipation. Any suggestions on dietary modification prior to air travel to avoid constipation?

Hi Particia

Air travel is a big contributor in terms of constipation and happens to many travelers, even those with usually very normal digestive systems.

Not only is it the flying (which is filled with unhealthy air, and is sometimes stressful, and tiring) but the food served on planes is a dietitian's nightmare!

I only eat the fresh foods options because the other foods bloat me quite badly. How long is your flight? If it's under 12 hours, I would fast, aside from fresh fruits/veggies and drink only water. Walk as much as you can (walking stimulates the bowels) and increase your fiber for 2-3 days before your flight. This is what I do. It works. If I don't follow my own advice, I pay the price.

Let me know what you think! Have a great trip!

Diverticulitis Guide