Allergies

Allergies Guide

ask: Allergy and FENO test

Hi,

I have dust and cold allergy for the past 2 years. Recently I was diagnosed with allergic bronchitis and took medicines for that. I have frequent sneezing,cough and breathing trouble. My doctor has prescribed one inhaler and one nasal spray. But I have heard a lot about the side effects of these sprays and inhalers and I dont want to use it. Today as prescribed by the doc I had underwent a Spirometry and FENO test. The FENO test result was 107ppb. Is this value really high? I have read this test is a diagnosis for asthma. But i don't have that much breathing trouble like an asthmatic patient. I feel a heaviness in the center of my chest and after too much of sneezing feel out of breath and have shallow breathing.
Could you please guide me on how I can go ahead getting the right treatment?

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry you are dealing with these allergies - my husband does too and he uses inhalers but has never had any side effects. What side effects have you heard of that make you nervous?

A nasal rinse might be something you could consider.

You are right - the FENO test is a breath test for Asthma. Remember that not all asthmatics have the same symptoms - some may be "lighter" or less obvious than others.

I cannot interpret FENO tests, you need to consult with your doctor for that. Somebody should have talked to you once the test was administered.

Click here for our Asthma Center and learn all about treatment options: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/asthma-center

http://www.thoracicandsleep.com.au/patient-info/105-asthma-and-feno-testing

envoxtp (reply to Susan Cody)

I have heard that inhalers like prolonged usage of duonase nasal spray will cause you headache, nasal burning and palpitation

Do you suffer from springtime allergies?: