Am I verbally abusive?

By March 17, 2015 - 8:30pm

ive been married for almost 15 years. For the last 2 years I've been hearing and trying to adjust to being told that I'm verbally abusive. I really don't think I am but my spouse says otherwise; I suppose that's the bottom line. However, is there something else it can or how do I know if I am?

Hi Hey now,

Yes, if you are being told you are verbally abusive then it could be the case. 

Slow down, think before you speak and chose your words carefully, as well as your tone.  Be aware of the words you use and how you use them.  If you're told something you said was abusive, say it back to yourself in the manner you spoke and ask yourself how you'd feel if you were spoken to like that. 

The fact that you are open to this issue and willing to work on it is great - it's a big step.