Ankle Replacement and CMT

My surgeon has suggested a total ankle replacement due to severe ankle arthritis and a second surgeon agreed. I am 62 years old and have CMT. My surgeon reconstructed my foot 3 years ago. The problem is my insurance (BCBS) will not approve ankle replacement due to my CMT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry you're in such a bad position when it comes to your health insurance. We don't have much information on dealing with the legalities and regulations of health insurances but have you ask the company why they will not cover you?

You have some options. You can go on an payment plan for this surgery and pay a little every month, probably for years. You can also see if you qualify for disability - ask your doctor about this. You can qualify for Medicare at 62 if you have a disability.

You could also set up a GoFundMe account and see if friends and family could help but I do think you should try the disability route. Other than that you will qualify for this surgery in 3 years when you turn 65 although I'm sure you don't want to wait that long.

You can take a look at the SS Disability criteria here:

Arthritis Guide