Any natural products (like coconut oil, etc.) to help with Chemo "fog"?

The Chemo treatments are having impact on mental capacities.

Anon - I too am a cancer patient and am dealing with chemo brain "fog." While I have been able to find many commercial websites selling coconut oil products as an alleged natural treatment, I have not been able to find this information from any reliable sources except suggestions that coconut oil can be helpful in dealing with skin conditions as it's a natural anti-fungal. I hope you will review the information that Susan provided and that you're able to find some solutions that help. I would also suggest seeing if the Wellness Community has a location near you as they often have classes in this topic.
Good luck, Pat

Thank you so much for your question and we wish you the best in your ongoing cancer treatments.

Chemo fog (often called Chemo Brain) is a common memory loss and general "fogginess" for some people under going chemotherapy. It's caused by the chemicals of chemo, not to mention the fatigue and general malaise of fighting cancer.

The Mayo Clinic website has some ideas for natural treatments:

■Exercise your brain. Try crossword puzzles or number games.
■Maintain a regular schedule.
■Practice relaxation techniques. Stress can contribute to memory and concentration problems.
■Find ways to stay organized. Use calendars or planners. Make lists and maintain an organized work space.
■Take frequent breaks. Divide tasks into manageable portions and take a break each time one part is completed.
■Exercise your body. Moderate exercise can help with stress, fatigue and depression.
■Get enough rest.

One of our readers wrote about her experiences with Chemo Brain and there are lots of responses. You can read about this thread here: http://www.empowher.com/community/share/chemo-brain-its-not-all-my-head

We also have a news story about Chemo Brain studies:

As far as supplements go, I am unfamiliar with what could help. Something like ginkgo biloba is taken to enhance or improve memory. This may be of help to you but remember to talk to your cancer doctors first. Even herbs can interfere with medications and treatments.

Have you heard something about coconut oil helping in this area?

Please let me know what you think of this information and if it has helped. Also let me know how we can help you further.

We wish you the very best in your recovery and hope to hear more from you soon!

Alzheimer's Disease

Alzheimer's Disease Guide