Are there any side effects to getting a "depo shot"?

I have recently been diagnosed with a cyst on my right ovary. It causes me a great deal of pain and irregular periods and spotting for 5 months now. I also have Endometriosis. I am currently on a contraceptive called junel fe and my gyn originally wanted me to get a depo shot. However I was worried about having somthing last 3 months in my body when I can stop the pill at any time from side effects. I had a very bad reaction to Yasmine a few years ago and hate hormones altogether now. How ever I am in a lot of pain and misserable enough to consider getting the Depo shot.

I'm on shot number 3 and I'm in absolute hell with chronic headaches!!! I can't sleep or concentrate very long and I feel nauseated randomly.. Dr is finally seeing my way about having cyst surgically removed. This headache stops me dead in my tracks it is so debilitating! Not worth the side effects!

Thank you for your question and welcome to Empowher. Planned Parenthood provides all the side effects from the depo shot and you can find that information here http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-contr....

You should always raise your concerns with your physician prior to changing any birth control methods. I hope this helps.