bio identical hormones

By October 30, 2008 - 1:07pm

I am considering bio identical hormone treatment by the pellet release system. Has anyone had any experience with this. I am 62 and have been taking Premarin for 12 years until six months ago when I decided it was time to stop. The hot flashes, anxiety and cloudy thinking is horrible. When will all this stop?????

Thanks for any input -- SueHelen

You might be interested in this thread, which is women discussing their experiences with Sotto Pelle pellet therapy:

SueHelen, is your primary care doctor or gynecologist concerned that you are still having hot flashes and menopausal symptoms at 62? Has she or he done hormone testing on you since you stopped using the Premarin?

I tried the bioidentical hormones--lots of different formulations. They are a combination of estriol + estradiol. I never did get balanced. I also tried Vivelle Patch, EstroGel, Enjuvia, and Angelique. I am now on Premarin. For the first time, I feel I have my brain back. I still have the abdominal weight gain that I have developed in the last 12 months. I have gained 20 pounds after never having a weight problem, let alone abdominal obesity. I am starting thyroid medication now, after that was tested and found to be deficient. There is a problem with Armour Thyroid being off the market now, so that is a challenge! Best of luck--the only thing I have not tried is the pellets. However, I have heard they can be painful.

Thanks for your post and question.

Bioidentical hormone treatment is the use of steroid hormones that are identical to those naturally produced in the body.

There is also much controversy regarding bioidentical hormone treatment, you can read some of this here: http://www.webmd.com/menopause/news/20080109/fda-goes-after-natural-hrt-...

Hopefully a reader here will have some personal experience with bioidentical hormone replacement therapy to share with you. In the meantime, I urge you to do as much research as possible (although I suspect you have!) and weight the pros and cons of using this treatment.

I don't blame you for wanting to try something new if your other treatment has not been working. Being that you are 62, I would have thought that these menopausal symptoms would have stopped by now. When did menopause start for you? Have you talked to your doctor as to why these hot flashes and other symptoms are continuing?

i am presently on bio-identical hormones. taking progesterone and testosterone.i am also taking thyroid. i am working with my doctor, trying to twek my prgeterone. i started out on the progesterone pill, 100mg., then to 200mg. then i stopped taking felt it was making me gain weight and felt like i had no energy, almost like being on a sedative. started doing progesterone sub-linguially. still feel completely drained, lethargic. i believe because this pellet looking triturate takes so long to dissolve under the tongue, i must be swallowing it, hence it therfore goes through the liver, which is causing this lethargic feeling. anyway, spoke wth pharmacist yesterday, will try the sub-linguals vaginally, if causes irritation, will order vaginal troche. i am also considering having him lower my dose to 50 or 75 mg. i strongly believe that hormone replacement is essential to maintain the quality of life we have had up to pre and post menopause. our bodies quit making these hormones and they need to be replaced. they promote strong bones, healthy skin, hair, energy, heart health and so much more. but synthetic hormones are a death sentence. bio-identical hormones are identical to those produced by your body. in other words, your body cannot tell the difference between it's own hormones and bio-identical hormones. even though your 62, you need to consider taking these hormones, they have everything to do with a better quality of living. your hormones when producing sufficiently before you entered menopause, created balance in your life, well now those hormones are depleted, doesn't it make sense to replace them to give you back that same quality you remember. hormones conrol every cell in our body and brain. if they are not functioning or not present, our bodies react with unpleasant symptoms. my plan of action is to keep working with my doctor to find a happy medium for this hormone balance dance. please do not let a doctor give you synthetic hormones. the bio-identical hormones cannot be pateted, therefore the drug companies cannot make any money off of them, and in turn your dr is influenced by these drug companies. find another doctor that actually cares about your condition. i suggest this book "how to achieve health aging" by nick rouzier. you can get a used copy from amazon. that is what i did. one more thing, i just got my thyroid dosage increased and when i talked with pharmacist where i was getting my compound medicine filled, he said not to get generic of my thyroid pil, he said it was junk. i do not have my thyroid medicine on me right now, but will check to seed what he put me on and let u know. also, my doctor had me order dhea and niacin from a lab in salt lake city, they were not expensive, actually i am going to refill my testosterone there instead of the walgreens compounding pharmacy, because there are a lot less expensive. the book goes into detail about dhea andniacin. there is even a section on men's hormone replacement therapy in the book. it is very helpful, and you will be amazed at how much you didn't know about menopause. okay, hope that helps. take care

Menopause Guide