Birth Control Emergency

By May 28, 2010 - 10:27am

Hi there,

I've been taking birth control pills for years. I've been on Kariva for about 2 years. I forgot my pill tuesday and wednesday... had sex with my fiance last night (thursday) and then realized I missed those two pills so took them and my usual pill for that night (3 pills total). I realize I probably should not have done this and today I feel bloated and almost nauseous and out of it.

Anyway, on my pack it says to continue to take my pills and restart a pack Sunday (I'm a Sunday starter). Is this enough or should I take the 'morning after' pill also.

I'm getting married in October and needless to say I won't be able to fit in my dress if I'm pregnant, not to make less of the fact that we aren't ready for the responsibility of bringing a life into this world! Help!

Thanks so much for your response!
I followed the instructions and called my doctor just to confirm and since then have gotten my period and feel so much more confident... I'll never let this happen again!

Again, thanks for the quick response, it's these moments when it means the world to you when someone has your back!

Take care!

Hi appless14

Thanks for your question and welcome! Congrats on your upcoming Big Day!

Not fitting into your wedding dress would be the least of your problems if Baby is on the way!

On a serious note, missing two pills in a row and following the directions as stated by the Pill manufacturer should ensure you are protected. Did the instructions also say to use a backup (like a condom?). If so, make sure you use one and then once you get your breakthrough bleeding (period) and start your new pack, you should be fine. Plan B should not be necessary for you but if you feel worried (and I know having a baby is so life-changing - you are doing the smart and responsible thing by double-checking) then put a call into your doctor's office.

There are no guarantees in life but I think you'll be able to sip champagne at your wedding!

Let us know how it goes, ok? We'd love an update.