ask: Bleeding after taking Next Choice

So, I had sex right after my period ended (oct 30) and it was unprotected. I got a little paranoid (even though I think he did not came inside me) and took the next choice pill the next day.. followed all the instructions. but now, six days later i am bleeding seems like a menstruation. What is this? is this going to be menstruation for the month of November? My next due date is 21/22. Am I going to get my period by then? I am kind of freaking out. help please.

Anonymous

I have a similar story to everyone else's. I started my period on may 5th and ended around may 10th. Around may 14th/15th I had unprotected sex but my boyfriend pulled out and resulted (finished) in his hand. I panicked and took only one pill two days later and didn't take the second. I'm bleeding again hopefully as a result of taking plan b and I am 1.1/2 early from my regular period. Is this normal?

Anonymous

I took the after pill and I'm having heavy bleeding as if I had my period. This happened a week after I took the pill. Is it normal to get your period 2 and a half weeks early?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

As mentioned throughout this thread, unexpected bleeding in the days or a week after taking emergency birth control is a side effect o the medication so in this sense, yes, it's 'normal'. Your cycle this month may be irregular as a result.

~Susan

Susan,
Thank you so much for the reply. What are my chances of being pregnant also? And are you a doctor? You are so knowledgable, Thank you for helping not only myself but all of these other women by answering our questions and calming us down !

Anonymous

ok so i've read a lot of the above posts, but im still not finding something exactly similar...
so my boyfriend and i just had sex for the first time... im not on birth control but we used a condom. anyways, i was worried so i got an ec 7 hours later. then we did it again (with a condom) that night and the next day... then two days later for which i took one more ec (i was pretty paranoid) .. but he did pull out every time and check the condom after.... i am going to get on birth control soon since if we plan to continue, it would be the best decision. anyways, i dont think my period is due for a week or two more (ive never been one to keep track of it) / i believe i may be spotting now. what could the reason behind the spotting be? / you say that it is dangerous to take the ec multiple times in a row? (i talked to someone in planned parenthood who said it should be fine but that is conflicting with what you're saying so im a little confused and still freaked out... like everyone else here /: )
thanks

These questions have been answered in previous pages but in terms of all this EC being taken when unnecessary (and there was no need at all for you to take it) and a 'danger' factor - emergency contraception causes spotting (that you are now experiencing) and a lot of irregularity to your cycle due to the two high doses of hormones you took within two days. This can lead to the risk of pregnancy being (ironically) increased because your cycle is therefore unknown.

I think it's a good idea to go on the Pill, too.

Anonymous

Hello, I need help. My periods ended last month on the 23rd-24th and I had unprotected sex on the 26th. I started bleeding around he 30th or 31st. Now my usual dates are 18-19th but I still haven't got my periods. I took a pregnancy test on the 24th , it said negative. Please help me.:(

While unprotected sex can and does lead to pregnancy, if you took a test a week after your period was due and it's negative, then your period may just be late. But if you don't get your period in the next few days and you have never missed a period before then take another test.

Please keep us posted and good luck!

Anonymous

I had my period on March 27th n gotten off on the 2nd of April.I took next choice on the fourth day after unprotected sex in started bleeding. Heave day six after the nextchoice pills.However lately I have been having really bad cramps,migraines, and frequent urination ...I am really afraid...Could I b pregnant

The bleeding may be a side effect of Next Choice but it's too early to tell. You'll have to wait for your period to be due to test. Your symptoms could be anything from PMS, to very early pregnancy symptoms (unlikely) or even a stomach bug.

Do you support the idea of a single woman using In Vitro Fertilization to have a baby?: