Bleeding even though I'm not on my period..?

By Anonymous March 1, 2012 - 10:18am

Hi! Here's some background info that might be needed: I am on birth control, but I have missed a total of 3 days this month that haven't been taken yet (I am 3 days behind). Also, my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex about 2 weeks ago.

At the beginning of this week, I experienced bleeding that I assumed was an early period, even though I am on birth control. However, after I removed the tampon that I had used, there was no blood at all. So, naturally I was afraid that I was pregnant. There was no more blood for 3 days. Until yesterday, when it did the same thing, except for the bleeding was like a period for about 30 minutes. Then, no more blood. I am getting a little worried, especially because I am not to the sugar pills for another 4 or 5 days. I have also been feeling very nauseous. Anyone know what could be going on?

Did you miss 3 pills in a row, or three random pills? If you missed 3 in a row and still haven't taken them, then follow the instructions on your pill packet (you will probably be instructed to throw out the rest of the pills and start a new pack but check to be sure of this) If you missed them randomly, then it's too late to make them up.

Your bleeding is likely to be the bleeding you get when you start the sugar pills - breakthrough bleeding due to not taking the pill. This happens when you skip pills. I'm not sure why you have nausea as it would be a bit early for any kind of pregnancy symptoms. It could be from nerves/stress.

If you are concerned about pregnancy, take a pregnancy test in about 7 days, otherwise resume taking your pills per the instructions on your pack or check the manufacturer's website.