Breakthrough bleeding from pill, and pregnant?

By January 12, 2012 - 8:21am

I was wondering if anyone could throw some suggestions at me to ease my mind off of something that's been bothering me for the past couple of days.
I was on BCPs off and on for approximately the past 7 months or so, and I finally got fed up with always forgetting to take them. So, after a discussion with my Hubby, we decided that we were neither going to try for a baby nor be careful in preventing one either. We have sex very frequently.
I stopped taking the BC around the 19th or 20th of December, and got breakthrough bleeding around the 23rd or 24th of December which lasted about 4 or 5 days which is normal. My cycle is usually about 30 days or so, sometimes it varies.

Now, I have three questions:
#1 - Because I was always missing pills, could I have gotten pregnant before I stopped taking them all together and still gotten the normal breakthrough bleeding? Or is that pretty unlikely because if you're pregnant you shouldn't bleed at all?
#2 - Is it likely for me to ovulate normally (about 2 weeks after last 'period') even though it was breakthrough bleeding from coming off the pill and not a regular period?
#3 - My next normal period should not be due yet, but I am experiencing some consistent cramping these past few days (nothing serious, but it's noticeable). Could I be ovulating, or pregnant?
Any input is greatly appreciated! I'm seeking for some advice before I take the next step.
Thank you! :)

Hi MzPiggy

Thanks for your questions!

#1: One can bleed in pregnancy, it's bleeding rather than a period, so it's possible to be pregnant. However, it's unlikely since your breakthrough bleeding was "on time" and expected.

#2: Ovulation varies from women to women but even with breakthrough bleeding you can still ovulate.

#3: Ovulating doesn't generally cause cramps but you could be ovulating - or your symptoms could be due to PMS or pregnancy - both conditions mimic each other.

Remember that since you have been on and off the pill a lot in the past year that any of the above could apply. Take a test if your pill does not come as expected.