Broke a piece of cotton swab into my ear when cleaning it, the best way to retrieve it? Soften it with oil first, the tweezer?

By October 14, 2011 - 11:03am

Thank you Susan. It was actually my sister that did it and I am a nurse but havent worked in a while. We have a big wedding tomorrow and she wants me to try before the wedding. Oh boy. She is very very hard to get to the Dr. I will gently try to extract with tweezer. I may have to go to her house earlier without her beautiful outfit on. I will use a flashlight to assess and knowing her if I can't get it she will wait until another day. I hope this is private because she fanatical about no one knowing her health issues. Thank you again, Susan.

Hi soo

It's not a good idea to clean ears with q-tips although lots of us do (I am also guilty at times!) but it's also not a good idea to put oil in your ear to soften anything up.

The official advice is to have this removed by a health care provider. Don't try to take this out yourself. But if you feel you can, have a person pull back your ear slightly by your earlobe and have them look inside your ear. If the q-tip is very close, then a carefully and gently positioned tweezers may work. If it doesn't work straight away, don't continue - you may push it deeper into your ear and cause a lot of damage. Instead, a trip to a clinic or urgent care will get it out.