Can drinking too much water create Kidney problems?

By October 3, 2011 - 10:25am

I recently had a physical and need to go back to recheck my right kidney.I am feeling discomfort in my lower back and light cramps in lower stomach area.I had been drinking plenty of water because of menopause,hot flashes and nightsweats.I am pretty sure it is because I over drank too much water and now my right kidney is failing me.I am urinating alot but no signs of bladder infection, just urinating night and day and feeling low energy and concentration is not well. I will be going back to Drs' in Nov to do another ultrsound. What do you think?

It is my right kidney my Dr told me and I have to go back in Nov, to find out exactly what the diagnosis is I am not on dialysis either.But from what Iv'e been told from other sources I thought maybe it would be best to ask you,I realized I was drinking too much and I am pretty sure it has to do with why my right kidney is acting up and giving me discomfort in lower back and lower stomach area.I hope this helps,Thanks

HERWriter Guide (reply to willalee)

Hi willallee

Since you don't have a diagnosis yet, it's hard to tell you more but it's great you are continuing testing.

You should also be checked for diabetes since it can cause excessive thirst and also affects the kidneys.

I was drinking aproximately 12 glasses a day and sometimes about 3 glasses at one sitting. Could I do anything to keep my kidney from becoming worse? Maybe medication or any information that could be helpful? I stopped drinking water since I am on horomone therapy drugs. I drink one or two bottles a day but that is it. Thanks

HERWriter Guide (reply to willalee)

Hi willalee!

Can you give us more details about what is going on with your kidneys? Are they failing, do you have a particular disease or are you on dialysis? What's your diagnosis? The more we know the more we can help you!

Hi Willalee

Drinking too much water can be dangerous but you would have to drink a lot of water in a short period of time for that to happen. It's called hyponatremia.

How much are you drinking every day, approximately? Don't forgot that our food also hydrates us!

When I do a 60-90 minute workout, it's not uncommon for me to drink 48+ ounces of water, especially in summer, to replenish what I am sweating out. Then I drink more water throughout the day.

However, I wouldn't normally drink 48 ounces of water in such a short period of time if I was not working out.

Hyponatremia causes a huge salt depletion in the body that can cause it to shut down and even lead to death via heart or kidney failure.

Can you estimate how much water you are drinking?