Can extended Vicodin use for arthritis make pain worse

I think I have experienced the same thing. It seems that if I take them a lot a don't drink tons of water, I will actually be in more pain...

Hello Anon

Thanks for your question and thank you for finding Empowher!

Extended use of Vicodin isn't really a good idea in the first place, although Vicodin can work well for the flare ups that most arthritis sufferers get. Vicodin works very well after surgeries etc, for a short amount of time. After that, other pain management options should be looked into. Vicodin is a very powerful narcotic (opiate) with addictive properties. Long term use can also be detrimental to the liver.

Are you asking for yourself or someone else? I do know that the pain of arthritis can be dreadful. Have you tried to stick to anti-inflammatory medication, or do you feel you need additional medication for the pain?

Longterm use of Vicodin shouldn't make pain worse, but a person can build up a tolerance to the opiate and need more and more in order to feel less pain. This may be what is happening here.

How is your diet? Diet can very much help with arthritis, here are a few ideas:

-Omega 3 fatty acids (fish or flax seed)
-Colorful fruits and vegetables like pineapples and apples for fruit, and tomatoes and peppers for veggies (technically they are both also fruits but we'll call them veggies for now!) as well as onions, spinach and kale.
-Whole grains
-Nuts like walnuts.

How is your diet and exercise routine? What other medications and pain management do you use for your arthritis?

Arthritis Guide