ask: Can a Flu shot lead to Shingles?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter October 11, 2008 - 9:42pm
Can a Flu shot lead to Shingles? 4 5 6
flu shot

dear michelle, a 76 year old friend recently had a flu shot and developed a case of shingles. any connection? coincidental? thanxs so much

Has anyone ever heard of this or had this happen to them?

I am a 75 y/o female who has experienced shingles several times. On two occasions I got shingles after having a flu shot. Most recently I received the extra strength flu shot which is recommended for persons over 65. The next day I felt pain in my neck which I assumed was a rx from the shot. By Monday the pain had progressed into my scalp and I was diagnosed with Shingles -- again. I have been told by both my pharmacist and PCP that the flu shot does not exacerbated a shingles event. I believe it can.

Same with me i have also developed shingles from the flu i knew something was up

Dr.WAFE God will continue to bless you more abundantly, for the good works you are doing in peoples life, I will keep on testifying about your good work, I was healed from HERPES VIRUS through the help of Dr WAFE. I saw a blog on how Dr.WAFE known as 'LORD SPIRITUAL cured people with his herbal treatment, i did not believe but i just decided to give him a try, I contacted him and he prepare the herbs for me which i took, after taking it, he told me to go for check up, could you believe that i was confirm herpes negative after the test,and i went to a different hospital and it was also negative, i am so happy.If you have any problem or you are also infected with any disease, kindly contact him now with you can also or call +2348070415001.

I'm a 65 year old male, on a Tuesday I had an Endoscopy, 2 days later (Thursday) I had a physical and a flu shot (I had the virus shot approx. 1 year ago). On Friday evening approx. 28 hrs after my flu shot a broke out with shingles.

Certainly a coincidence due to timing, my pharmacist didn't believe there was a correlation nor did the clinic that I went the next day, Saturday.

i started getting shingles when I was 26 before anyone really new what it was; a young doctor (looked to be about 15 walked in the room (I was put in quarantine - it was bad) and he said, "you have shingles-you're hear for 10 days).

There you have it - but I do believe there is some correlation to the flu shot. Given those that get the shot are given a "dead virus" the body is saying time to get to work building anti-bodies; is it possible the system was busy starting to work that they forgot about the "chicken pox - shingles"? Sounds silly but something tells me more is going on between the 2!!!!!

Any thought?

I got a flu shot on Thursday by Sunday I had shingles on the same arm wrapping around on the shoulder ....

Flu Shot 11/4.
Headache starts 11/6.
Shingles (Herpes Zoster Ophthalmicus) confirmed 11/10/2015.
What a gift!!!!

We all need to contact cdc to report this. As of yesterday no reports of anyone getting shingles after flu shot. The website is I'm doing it today!

I reported to vaers this morning, although, the company my vaccine came from was not listed. I also reported it direct to the vaccine company. I doubt that it will help, although if enough ppl report it... They may issue a warning label. The role of vaccine company seems to be to make the cause being from something else and not related to the vaccines, which may be true, but compromised immunity due to the flu vaccine. I was specifically told its role is to boost immunity not lower it.

On 10/23/15 I received my flu vaccine exactly two weeks later I also developed shingles. Time off work now at 3 days, dr appointments piling up, now an eye doctor for my weeping eye due to breakout being so close. Not very encouraging to ever have another vaccine.

Same story here. Exactly 2 weeks after shot I got shingles near my eye and on forehead. After cost of immediate care, eye doctor, medication and going to be missing work, I hope class action lawsuit!! Never getting shot again and canceling kids shot!

Shingles Guide

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :