can i carry a child?

in 26 years old and have ddd also i have 2 lumbar disc out of place at l4 and l5...ive been told i need need disc replacement but still waiting...im on strong medication and jus found out im pregnant....do you think i could carry and give birth to my baby....my pain is servere and sometimes i am unable to walk or do day 2 day task...x

Hi, I'm 37 and have had DDD since I was 26. I haven't gotten pregnant yet but am planning to. I've tried a lot of things and chiropractic, spinal decompression and acupunture have been most effective. My symptoms were much like yours when I was your age. I was able to get off narcotic pain medicine after years of taking it thanks to acupuncture. You can do acupuncture for pain relief while preg. For me the combination of chiro/acupunture has been wonderful. The pain meds only masked the symptoms and surgery would be spinal fusion and there's no guarantee it would help me. I really feel for you going through this pain while you are pregnant but I do truly believe there is hope for pain relief and you can make it through. I hope this helps and best wishes to you and blessings.

Thanks for your post and congratulations on your pregnancy!

While this was certainly not a good time to get pregnant, women with all sorts of issues (and far worse) go on to have a baby. Obviously we can't tell you about your particular situation but women with badly injured/damaged backs and spines go on to have babies all the time.

However you need to get to a doctor straight away regarding pain management. Depending on what you are taking and in what quantities, you may need to have your regime modified. This is something you need to tend to immediately so please put a call in straight away.

You will also need to talk to your back specialist as soon as possible. You may be a high risk pregnancy.

Additionally, start now to organize child care and help for you - for both your pregnancy and then aftercare. You'll need a lot of help before and after. Have a plan ready.

Is the child's father involved and are you close to your family (and his)? If so, begin reaching out now - I'm sure they will be very happy to help!

I wish you the best and let us know if we can help you further,

Degenerative Disc Disease