Can I drive having seizures from Conversion Disorder

By February 4, 2015 - 2:10pm

does anyone here with conversion disorder drive? i have been having non epileptic seizures since October and my therapist says that people with conversion disorder will NOT hurt themselves bc the brain is protective, but I wanted to get some answers from people who are living with it.

My name is Pattie. I have conversion disorder and I am unable to work. I started having non epileptic seizures from this as well. They thought I was having real ones so, my neurologist did an eeg on me. No seizure activity,but as I was having the eeg I had a non epileptic seizure and passed out. The doctor told me absolutely no driving! They madee promise not to drive or they would have to take my lisence. So how do you know if you are going to go unconscious with these or not? You don't. That's the issue. So from experience and for your safety as well as your families, don't drive. Hope everyone here gets better. I know I have been battling this for almost two years now. I would really like to start an organization, non profit of course to help people like us financially. I know I can't afford all the cost of my medical care that I need now and future. I am fighting with social security for myself because I am unable to work. It is very hard not to be able to do so. I want to help people as I always have , in the medical field. So as for now I am going to try to do this for less fortunate people who truely love to work and can't. It will be for the ones who cannot afford to get good medical treatment because of loosing their job or other circumstances like mayo clinic charging 5,000 dollars for initial work up if you don't have an insurance that they accept. So while trying to start this I want to let all of you know that I completely understand everything y'all are going through. I have to say keep fighting the good fight and don't give up. You are only strong as you let yourself be. I know it is frustrating as it is for me, but we can't give up hope that one day we will be cured. God bless all of you.

I was diagnosed with Conversion Disorder in 2008 and when I am symptomatic, I DO NOT DRIVE AT ALL. I WILL NOT PUT ANYONE OR MYSELF IN HARMS WAY. IF YOU DO SO, IT's A SELFISH AND IRRESPONSIBLE act on your part. So no I don't drive and I surely hope you don't either. I usually have a friend or a love one take me to where I have to go. Hoped this was helpful to you.
Sher, from USA.

No, I have not driven since Oct 8th. I'm not looking for permission to drive, just wanted to hear from others with similar experiences. I posted here because I saw quite a few posts with people with conversion disorder....soI'm confused?? Ty.

HERWriter Guide (reply to mammaboo2)

Hi again mammaboo!

Your questions was "can I drive..." when you are having seizures from CD so I answered appropriately.  If you are in doubt about driving, I would suggest you stay off the roads, you could do yourself an injury or cause the death of someone else. Better be safe than sorry. 

We have had some questions about CD , I just don't recall seeing them very often - but I do hope our members with this disorder read your post and can give you their input.  Their experiences will help you a great deal. Also, see what your therapist has to say. 

Hi mammaboo2

Thank you for your question! 

Conversion Disorder is not commonly asked about here on EmpowHER but I do hope you get responses from others dealing with this disorder. 

We are not able to ascertain your ability to drive. That is up to you and your doctors and depending on the kind of seizures you are having. If there is any doubt, however, for your sake and for the sake of others on the roads, driving is not a good idea.  Have you been driving so far and nothing has happened? Do your seizures happen when only under emotional distress? Know your triggers and follow accordingly. 

It's good that you are working with a therapist to help you with this disorder. Once you can get to the bottom of the trauma that is now causing this, the faster you can get back to your normal life.

Conversion Disorder