CAN I GET PREGNANT AFTER BRAIN SURGERY?

i HAD A BRAIN TUMOR REMOVED IN JANUARY OF 2009, CAN i STILL HAVE CHILDREN ?

Anonymous

This post has been so wonderful to read. A lot of up lifting comments! I too have a question though. I've had an ependymoma partially removed in 2002, I am now 30 & still unable to carry full term. I have had 4 miscarriages since & I'm feeling a little discouraged in the matter. Do you think I still have a possibility to conceive? I've been told by the doctors shortly after getting it partially removed that I wouldn't be able to. I believe I can, but am I wrong for thinking that? Thank you for reading this.

Anonymous

I've a brain tumour for the last 26 years. Because of the type of tumour I have and were it is, it cannot be removed. I'm struggling to get pregnant, I've been told that I'm high risk.

Anonymous

I was dx with oligo grade II in 2007. Had surgery. Wanted a baby and got pregnant in 2010. Had a son that year. Tumor came back in 2011. Had another surgery. Recovered and decided to have another child, wanted my son to have a sibling in case something happened to me. Had girl Dec. 2014. Tumor is coming back again. Looking into treatments again.

Anonymous

I'm a 4 year gbm survivor. I recently found out I'm pregnant. I'm about 7 weeks pregnant. I'm really worried that I'm going to harm my body and the baby by being pregnant. I never thought I could get pregnant due to the radiation and the chemo. I'm also terrified that the cancer will come back to the increase in hormones. Are you aware of anyone that delivered a healthy baby after a chm? Thanks you so much!

Update June 2016: I delivered a healthy baby girl on 9/13. She is truly my miracle baby. She's 9 months old now and is moving, eating well and talking a lot. I continue to get MRI scans every 3 months. I was high risk and I did have 2 Mri's without contrast during my pregnancy. I'm now a 5 1/2 year GBM survivor. I contribute it my faith, yoga, changing my diet and support from my family and friends.Never give up.

Congrats, Anon!

We are thrilled to hear your good news!

I cannot tell you what your comment has meant for me. You spoke about faith and I'm quite a religious person and have been looking for a sign about whether to be brave and move forward and consider getting pregnant or just forget the whole thing. I know that every case is different but you've really given me hope. Thank you xx and lots of love to you and your miracle baby :)

I would love to hear how you are getting on. I am also a GBM survivor. 3 years now. I was pregnant at the time of diagnosis and told to terminate in order to receive treatment. I'm now desperate for a child. I'll be treatment free for two years soon and wondering whether it's safe to try. I know that every case is different but I'd love to know how you're doing.

Anonymous

Hello Diane,
Btw this site is very imformimg. My name is Jessie, I'm 33 yrs old. I had a craniotomy in 2013 gotten diagnosed with grade II oligoastrocytoma in May 2013 and had a craniotomy again in dec 2014 . I was scheduled to start radiation and chemotherapy in Jan 2015. But I found out I am pregnant so my doctor won't start treatment till after delivery. I am estimated 4 weeks . I've search for information with no success, I did read where it was possible to do radiation in some cases. Do you know the risks and probability of me having complications during pregnancy and delivery

Anonymous

ok DO NOT get preggo if you have or had a bt.... after my first surgery all was ok ran a marathon blahblah blah well the 5% they had to leave or i would have deficits mine was right in the motor/ sensory strip in my right parietal lobe well we decided to get preggo 1 more time all docs said it would be ok dont stop living becuz of this tumor sooo we did get preggo another time and have a now beautiful 5 yr old girl but i do have deficits in the left side now not working well need a brace to walk and cannot hold things in my left hand anyway when it grew back hormones went wild on the 5% left oh i had an oligo grade II turned into a grade III oligo not good since then i found a new neurologist received the correct treatment chemo rads and avastin AKA wonder drug avastin cuts off the blood supply to the tumor very costly but insurance covered for all of it ten thousand per tx sheeeeit ok good luck my fellow bt friends tina

Brain Tumors

Brain Tumors Guide

Guide