Can I get pregnant if I miss more than one pill in the first week of Tri-Sprintec? Is it okay to miss the spacer pills?

By September 30, 2009 - 12:17pm

I missed two pills during my fourth week (spacer pills) and then for insurance reasons, I wasn't able to get my new pack in time, and missed the first two pills of the first week. I had sex during this time. The strange thing, is that my period has been lingering on slightly for about 10 days. Is it possible I'm pregnant?

Dear Catherine

Birth control is only as good as the person taking it so if you miss active pills (not "spacer" ones) then your risk of pregnancy does rise. Did you make up the two pills you missed in the first week? If you took them as directed then your risk is not much higher that if you didn't miss them. Missing inactive (spacer pills) does not increase any kind of pregnancy risk. They are taken as "reminder" pills to keep you in the habit of taking the pill and often contain iron to make sure you levels don't decrease due to your period.

With regard to 10 days of bleeding - this is not common when taking the pill properly. If it continues, you may have to check it out with your health care provider but bear in mind that missing pills may change your monthly cycle.

Your chances of pregnancy are still pretty low but do ensure that you use a back up method in future (like condoms) to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. If you suspect that you may be pregnant, a pregnancy test is you best course of action.

Will you update us?