Can I take birth control while on Calcitriol

By Anonymous April 4, 2010 - 10:05pm

I have thyroid disease and low blood calcium so I'm on calcitriol. I was recently diagnosed with mittleschmertz and was put on Yasmine birth control to see if it helps the symptoms. I was told that it should not be a problem that I'm on levothyroxine, calcitriol and the birth control. I just want to make sure this is true. I'm really paranoid about meds and combining them.

Dear Anon

Thanks for your question and good for you for being proactive about your health!

Calciterol is a synthetic version of Vitamin D and should not interfere with your birth control pill. I have seen no contraindications on any literature.

Your pharmacist is always a good person to ask, often as good as a doctor.

If you continue to be worried about it, you can always look into natural methods for for pain during ovulation (mittleschmertz). Applying heat to the abdomen, warm baths and keeping well hydrated often works well.

We wish you the best!

Thyroid Conditions