Can a person recover from an anoxic brain injury

By March 30, 2010 - 9:48pm

My sister has a heart disorder called "Long QT Syndrome" which caused her to go into cardiac arrest that resulted in her having brain damage,.

My 17 got stock on speaker wire y remodel her room mayb 10 mins I want bak n seen took it off n started CPR n rescue was there in 3mins n took over at the hospital thy said give 24-72 hr to see how she his with 12hrs in thy kept saying it's bad need plain for the worst thy wasn't giving her the chance to fright for her self jus machines was doing all the work ask if her heart stop did I want them to do anything to start it again uhh yea I had Faith in her that she wasn't ready go this was a bad attcent with 24hr coming up thy wanted to do a test for brain dead n wat happens my baby girl was taken some breaths on her own. Alil help still my the meds got drop lower n her Heart was staber like she was frighting n so was I like I had this feel n hope she will get better n come out of this she was in I'm a mom so I'm always look for better not bad but I was also knowing in case there was a bad out come wit her to die but I couldn't let myself go that way so fast thy said 72hr we only going on 24 I'm laying here next to her talking to her n telling her I love her she can do this n recover from this she's a strong girl n I ain't ready give up on her so she better not like give up on her self I k ow she can hear me I do cus she making some changes for her self .I'm reading ppl story's how thy love one recover from cerebral hypoxia, n that's wat I need my baby girl to do n wen I talk to Dr nurse thy say she doing good wit this n that but she can still die like u have to have faith in her to live ain't that thy job thy ask me 12hrs in to donate I said no I'll fright till I see my baby has no fright in her n she's a real frighter but I do ask for prays n here in this hospital room now y'all stroys give me so much more hope n so happy ur love ones made a recovery I want this I believe n hope she will

Joining my prayers with your family's for your loved one's complete recovery, Jesus' Name. I am praying for my mom's health to be recovered in full, as well. God Bless!!

(reply to Anonymous)

Hi, the exact same story is similar to mines only my 18 yr old daughter suffered from asthma attack that led to her cardiac arrest. she passed out as I was requesting EMT to rush her to the hospital I was all frantic I don't think I even started CPR quickly cause I was shock. The ambulance however showed up 4 minutes after she had went unconscious and began CPR and defribrillation trying to get her heart back started unsuccessful however they were still working on her on the way to emergency, she was trying to get resuscitated for about 50 minutes which at the time they did retrieve her heart beat but she had already endured brain injury, she was experiencing seizuretic spasms and nerve pulses that they had controlled with anti seizure medicatons. after which I was day and night in the hospital hoping and praying for a miracle called my family and church family and around the nations to pray for her. Endlessly waiting for any changes to happen there were none no eye twitching, no reflexes of any kind, no resistance of reflexes etc... she kept having some very weak breathing off the ventilator but it wasnt enough for her to be monitored without it. I watched my baby slowly decline in areas her lungs kept collapsing and she developed pneumonia that they treated with steroids and antibiotics .....sepsis blood infection etc...There came a time all her doctors would tell me her quality of life wasnt gonna improve she may not regain consciousness and so on I was not having it I didnt want to think it I had to have my brother up there with me to translate was said to me just so assurance I was taking it in what they were saying. Time passed by about 2 1/2 wks no change indicated they did neccessary tests and MRI,nuclear EEGs for her for indication of oxygenated blood flow to the brain or to determine brain death. When that was determines by several neurologist I still did not want to accept it but I didnt want her to endure any other unnecessary procedures or test cause my baby was on her way to having a trach and peg tube put in and transported to a long term care facility to give her time,, but she was unable to receive it due to her sodium levels rising so with all the tests that were done the doctors were strongly urging me to start decisions on moving on with the confirmation of brain death. I let my baby go on be at peace and I am hurting but I believe I made the right decision and not just being her mother I didnt want to let her go. My advice to you is you do the same whatever is in your heart that you know your daughter would want you to do. Im sorry you have to endure this pain and witness everyday but keep faith and only prayer and time will tell. God Bless and praying for you!!!

My 54 year old husband sustained anoxic brain injury mid Nov 2015. Was told he would not survive, remain in a vegetative state and to pull life support after 3 days. He woke up and told me he couldn't breathe and to call 911. He walked outside in the back yard to get air as he waited for the ambulance. He walked out to the ambulance and asked for oxygen, once he was in the ambulance, he passed out and then went into cardiac arrest on the way to the hospital. How long he was without oxygen is unknown. For that reason I could not give up. I am happy that I gave him a chance. Hospitals and acute care hospital here were awful and gave him no chance or rehabilitation. Made me feel I was crazy telling them he was responding and following commands. Thankfully I took videos. After 2 months, I was fortuante to have him evaluated by Craig Hospital in Colorado and away we went for rehabilitation for 2 months. Its been 7 months and he is home and goes to outpatient day treatments for continued rehabilitation. Its a long hard road, but his congitive function is 100%, his memory mostly intact. His personality is somewhat different, but he seems happier and more outgoing. He is very motivated and determined and we pray all the time. His speech is improving and he can talk but sometimes hard to understand. He is not able to walk yet, and don't know if he ever will. His balance and coordination severely affected as well as his vision. I am trying to get him in for HBOT in hopes that will help him physically. Only time will tell, I know its a hard road for him, but out magic words are never give up and be patient. Lord know we both need that.

(reply to Anonymous)

Thank you for this story it gives me hope. My fiance has anoxic brain injury since September 25 2015. Nobody will listen to me either. Though he doesn't do what I ask him to do I do see improvement in him. His eyes are open and he moves his head and feels pain. They tell me if he doesn't improve in the first year he won't. They also told me to pull the plug after the third day so I understand you. I pray everyday he will be okay it is hard. I am glad you didn't give up love is the best medicine. I hope the best for the both of you.

Anonymous (reply to Buttons78)

M husband is 52 and we are going through the same thing. I have been told all the same by the doctors. He had his heart attack Nov 18, 2015. Long story short, the hospital, post acute care and every neurologist said the same. Let him go, I'm being cruel, he wouldn't want this, etc. Am I wrong to give him time to recover? I have been with him since I was 17 and we've been married almost 30 years and have two beautiful daughters. He is my heart and so strong. I have hope and faith in him. It's been 11 months. He only has a trach and feeding tube. They want me to let him go, but that would mean starving him to death and killing him. I need help and advice, Please anyone.

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

My heart goes out to you. I can appreciate how you are feeling. It is a very difficult situation.

I reach out to you as a nurse who worked almost ten years in a critical care unit. Over the years, I witnessed many individuals in the same situation that you are in.

Palliative care may be the option. The focus is on making the patient comfortable. It would involve taking your husband off the ventilator and removing the feeding tube.
The focus switches to keeping him clean and dry. Turing him and rubbing his back. Nurses can moisten his lips.

My father-in-law spent his remaining day in the palliative care unit of the hospital. He had been unresponsive for over one week. We were allowed to stay, day and night, to be with him until the end.

My prayers are with you.

Anonymous (reply to Buttons78)

The healthcare pros usually give no hope, cause it's easier than to pay attention to these people that I believe are still inside. It's cruel and all I can say is keep praying and fighting for your loved one. Miracles do happen. God is good and doctors are not God

Anonymous (reply to Buttons78)

Hi, my husband had his heart attack in Nov 2015. It's been 9 month's and my heart won't give up on him. He always said he would never want to be like he is now, and it's tearing my heart out. I want to give him more time, but I'm so scared he's terrified and upset with me. I can't imagine letting him go by starving him to death. We have been together 32 years and have 2 beautiful daughters that want to get married. He's amazing and loved by so many. I'm really struggling and miss him so much. I'm holding on to hope. Thank you for sharing your story,this is a lonely place to be. Christy

Hello my name is Carol, I had an Anoxic Brain injury in Dec, 2014 today is OCt 2016, Im still here and doing well. Please have faith and believe that God is able, he is able to bring your love one back to his old self again

Anoxic Brain Injury