Q: 

Can a person recover from an anoxic brain injury

By March 30, 2010 - 9:48pm

My sister has a heart disorder called "Long QT Syndrome" which caused her to go into cardiac arrest that resulted in her having brain damage,.

Anonymous

3 weeks ago today my son who will be 34 the 26th of this month hung himself his girlfriend found him cut him down and started cor when paramedics got there he was not breathing and had no pulse they used the paddles and got his heart going he is still in a coma and no response he was moved to an acute long term cafe facility on Thursday he does most of the breathing on his own the vent mainly just does pressure I will not give up hope

Do not give up hope!! My sister is in a long term facility as well with anoxic brain injury, and we are not giving up, even thought the doctors have!

Hello Anon

Thank you for sharing your story with us - what a horrific thing to happen. We wish you all the best.

Anonymous

My son, 27, had an anoxic brain injury on June 30, 2017. We were told he would most likely be vegetative for the rest of his life with little chance of ever being off life support. They don't know how long he was without oxygen or little oxygen, but the damage is there. The extent is hard to determine. They did an EEG & CTScan. We chose not to pull the plug on him even though we felt like the doctors were encouraging us to do. We have our faith that God is in control and I know my son is a fighter and would want a chance to live his life, even if it is a long road to recovery. He showed me little signs in the ICU. I am thankful to say that he is breathing now on his own. He was moved out of ICU after 14 days . He started tracking with his eyes and now he smiles, and shows a lot of expression. 3 weeks out of ICU he was sitting in a wheelchair for a couple of hours a day & in PT he was following some commands like kicking with his left foot when asked. We have had a difficult past 7 weeks though because he started "sympathetic storming" or "Neuro storming". He wasn't even diagnosed for 2 weeks after it started even though he had all the visible signs and was in extreme pain. I was the one that told the doctor I believe this is what is going on after a night nurse mentioned that she thought he might be storming but didn't know a lot about it. I immediately went to the Internet and learned all I could and brought it to the doctors attention the next day. To make a long story short, it has been rough! The continuity of care has been terrible!!! They finally have attempted to manage his condition in a proper way after I wrote a email to the CMO. They were just going to discharge him. Then I wrote the letter about our experience there.
My question is to anyone out there that has experienced or has been through the storming with their loved one. I would like to know if they are still dealing with it, or did it subside, or go away? I have been told it will slow down or go away, but he can't move forward while it's happening to often. We trust God is in control, but I want to make sure I am doing my part and doing everything possible to help in his healing. The hospital is planning to discharge him now in 2 weeks and we will be bringing him home w/private nursing help. I couldn't in good concious put him in a nursing/ rehab facility since they told me honestly that they can't guarantee he would be checked on more than every 2 hrs. With the storming in play that is completely unacceptable. He can't talk or move his limbs well. He has a trach & feeding tube. He would suffer there and his condition would get worse. I know he will be happier at home with more attention and love from family, and I know he will get his medications to control or lessen the storming on time. This has been a big challenge in the hospital. Sometimes I think they are causing more harm than good at this point. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help! ❤️

I am so sorry to hear about your son! My son was recently injured as well, in a drowning accident. I highly recommend the Facebook group: WISH: Walking in Support and Hope. There is a wealth of information and support there.

(reply to Anonymous)

Thank you so much! I will check it out.

I am in the same boat with my sister right now, she has a heart arrhythmia in May and lost oxygen to her brain, and we are not sure how much oxygen was lost. Currently we have her in a wonderful rehab/nursing home. They are taking great care of her and I go see her everyday. We have had a horrible experience the past 4 months. All doctors tell us there is no hope, but we as a family have hope and are not giving up. She responds to us very well, she still doesn't move a lot, but she is trying we can tell. she looks at me and listens to every word. We have hope and Keep going and I pray for you and your family!

How long was your son in a coma mine it has been 3 weeks and 1 day today still no response there was a rapid response code on him today because he was on the teacher mask and he slowed down on his breathing don't know how your son got his anoxia brain injury but mine hung himself so his injury is very severe doctors don't think he will ever wake up but I am holding onto hope

My son's anoxic injury was caused by an accidental overdose. He was suffering from asthma for the past 3 months and he was abusing Xanax since he could not smoke pot. He went to Urgent Care for help with his asthma and they prescribed him codeine cough syrup. He took that that day and drank the rest of the small bottle the next morning. With Xanax already in his system & his lungs already in a compromised condition it was an extremely toxic cocktail. I don't know how long he was without oxygen completely because he doesn't live with me and I was not there. He was also doing asthma treatments and on steroids for his asthma. I don't believe he ever thought codeine cough syrup would do what it did to him, but like I said his overall respiratory health wasn't good at the time and when you mix benzoids with opiates they tell your lungs to go to sleep. He was in a coma for 10 days but didn't show responses to things until day 13-14.

(reply to Anonymous)

I am sorry to hear about your son. My son is 27 and suffered a heart attack and as a result of the lack of oxygen has anoxic brain injury also. This happened 10 days ago and he still has not woken up. You said your son has responded on day 13-14. I was wondering if he has shown much improvement since then and what his status is if you wouldn't mind telling me.

Anoxic Brain Injury