Allergies

Allergies Guide

ask: Can vitamin k cause an allergic reaction?

I started taking a suplment called BoneUp with more vitamin K and after taking it I developed a rash all over my upper body and some swelling in my lips. Had to go to doctor to get a shot. Have you heard of a reaction to this supplement or to Vitamin K. Thank you!

Anonymous

If you are unable to eat, you should immediately go to the emergency room and be checked for possible side effects of your Vitamin K intake.

Keep us posted.
Missie 

I think I wrote my comment wrong. I can eat but only food that have medium to low amount of vitamin K. I never had any food reactions until I took a sumplement called BoneUp with more asorbing vitamin K. I need to know what to do about this problem. Thank you for your information.

Thanks for your question, it's a great one!

Yes, Vitamin K can cause an allergic reaction and it's generally a rash, and can be like the rash you are describing.

Interestingly, Vitamin K that is found naturally in foods doesn't usually cause an allergic reaction - only when it's in capsule/supplement form.

It sounds like your shot was a hydrocortisone shot?

Did your doctor tell you to stop taking the supplement? This is a good idea. Ask for advice on what your alternatives are.

~Susan

casaatthebeach (reply to Susan Cody)

I went to allergist and he told me that he had never heard of an allergic reaction to vitamin K and did not know what for me to do. I can not eat anything that has a medium to large K without having a rash. Do you know of any hospital or doctor that could give me information about allergic Reaction to Vitamin K. Thank You so much for your information.

Do you suffer from springtime allergies?: