Can you still get cervical cancer after you have had a hysterectomy

By August 15, 2009 - 11:52am

I had just my uterus removed and I really don't even know if I had my cervix removed or not. I have been experiencing some minor crapping and a tinge of blood on my toilet paper now and then when I wipe. My husband has warts. I thought that is what I have. But with the cramping and tinge of blood signs I am not sure what is going on? I do have my Ovaries still. I hope this makes sense?

HERWriter Guide (reply to punkun)

Hi punkun

You need to know what kind of hysterectomy you had - ask your doctor if you still have your cervix.

When you may "minor crapping" do you mean you have issues with bowel movements or do you mean minor "cramping"?  Was it a funny type-o?!

These symptoms may be expected after your procedure, as well as the bleeding. What kind of warts does your husband have? Genital warts? If so, stop having sex with him immediately! He needs to get these warts removed and you still need to be very careful as these warts are due to HPV and he may have several strains, that can lead to cervical cancer. Why did you have the hysterectomy?

We hope to hear back from you!

I have a question.is cervical cancer contagious and can it become airborne?i went to visit my friend in hospice at her last stage of cervical cancer and i kissed her bathe her and fed her.i went home and had sex with my husband.4days later she pasted.ive been bloated under my stomach and constipated.is my mind playing tricks on me

Cancer is not contagious.

Hi again!

You have had a radical hysterectomy and therefore have no cervix. A pap test checks for abnormal cells of the cervix so you would no longer need one.

However, if you are worried about HPV, you can always get an HPV test.

I had a radical hysterectomy an my dr at the time said I would never need another pap smear but that was about 9 years ago and I was still wondering if that still applies now.

Dear Michelle

Thank you for your question and welcome to Empowher!

Your answer may depend on the kind of hysterectomy you had. Sometimes we use the term 'hysterectomy' as a catch all phrase but did you have a partial or a full? A partial hysterectomy generally means the uterus is removed, leaving the cervix and thus the risk of cervical cancer remains.

A total means both uterus and cervix are removed and a radical hysterectomy refers to the uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes and cervix are taken away.

However, the HPV virus (that is linked to the majority of cervical cancers) can still be present in a woman's system whether she has a cervix or not, and the cancer causing agents in HPV can still be active.

Which kind of hysterectomy are you talking about? We hope to hear from you soon!

Cervical Cancer

Cervical Cancer Guide