Can't I get a shingles vaccine before age 50 to 60?

My friend is 40 and still has harmful effects from having shingles years ago--I don't want to get it! But I've heard I cannot get the vaccine unless I'm over 50. That's wrong!

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends the shingles vaccine for individuals ages 60 and older. However, the vaccine is approved by the FDA for people 50 years old and older.

All Medicare Part D plans cover the shingles vaccine. Medicare Plan B does not cover the shingles vaccine. Private insurance plans may or may not cover the cost of the vaccine.

Anyone can ask her physician for the shingles vaccine, as long as she is willing to pay for it out of pocket, if it is not covered by insurance or Medicare.

Shingles Guide