Conception &Ovulation

I am 26 and my husband and I are trying to have a baby. Before we decided, I finished my pack of bill control (which i have been on for 10 yrs), had my period, and started a new pack taking Sunday and Monday...then I stopped. I had some light bleeding 7 days later (only for a day or two). How do I know when I ovulate, from the date of my last period or now with that light bleeding? Thanks!

Just wanted to give you an update...IM PREGNANT!!!!!! I am about 6 wks and sooo happy! Due august 25th! No real sickness yet, just have to pee alot! Thank you for your help and your baby wishes!

(reply to Anonymous)

congratulations!!! we would love to hear from you, as your pregnancy progresses. If you are interested in sharing any pregnancy stories, just to to the Woman to Woman page and click on SHARE Your Health Story.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy pregnancy!

Cant believe it has been this long since I posted! Well it feels that long when you are TTC! Okay, so I finally got my menstral cycles back on track (35 days). I have been charting my BBT and I ovulated on Nov 5th. I am 16 DPO and I had some spotting on 12 DPO for a couple of days. It was not a flow and was browish. There would be nothing for a good 8 hours and then I would find a bit on my underwear. This countined for 2-3 days.
Do you think this can be implantation bleeding or my period? My temp went down a bit in the last 4 days (97.7,97.6,97.5, 97.7-my coverline is 97.4). How long should I wait to test?

(reply to Anonymous)

It does not sound like your period, since there was never any "flow". Spotting like that could either be explained as implantation bleeding or breakthrough bleeding (the word "bleeding" is misleading...both are usually more typically described as "spotting").

When are you expecting your next menstrual period? That would be the time to test (meaning, a home pregnancy test). Good luck!

Thanks for your question and welcome - and good luck with the baby-making!

Your question is a really good one! Your first break through bleeding was to be expected as normal and your second was likely due to you going off you pills permanently.

Therefore since you continued to protect yourself for two days and then bled for a day or two (totally normal) your likely days of ovulation ahead will only be a day or two apart. Bear in mind you may not even ovulate this month, having just come off the Pill!

So if you are trying this month, make sure you have lots of sex between days 10 and 20 to make sure you don't miss a possible ovulation day and once you get your regular period back on track again, tracking ovulation will be a lot easier.

I wish you the best and I hope I see an "I'm Pregnant!" message from you in the next several months - just make sure to give it at least a year (if you are under 35) before worrying. I know it seems like a long time and you could be pregnant (yay!) by next month - but do give it time.

I wish you the best,

Thanks so much for your help! Also, is it true that when going off the pill, you might not get your period for months? how would you know when you ovulate. I hope it happens soon...but i know it takes time:)

(reply to Anonymous)

Your cycles may not be regular for a month or two, and you may not ovulate right away when you stop taking the pill.

If you want to track your cycles, and have a better idea of when you might ovulate, there are many tracking methods that we can tell you more about:
- Basal temperature
- Ovulation predictor kit
- Cervical mucus tracking

Let us know if you already know about these methods, and if you would like more information about them....we're happy to help!

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

Update! So it has been about two months and no period yet. I had some light spotting 4 days ago that was a brownish colour, not enough for a tampon...only when I wiped. I think it might be implantation bleeding. How long should I wait to test after it stopped? It started on Monday and stopped Thurs.
Thanks! I hope it is positive!

Hi, it's good to hear from you again.

I'm not sure if what you experienced is implantation bleeding but it certainly could be. This kind of bleeding is usually a light pink or brown (not heavy/red like a period) spotting (literally, some spotting and not a flow).

It's hard to tell you when to test since it has been two months, you haven't had a period yet and don't know when you ovulated. Ideally, you'd wait at least 12 days after ovulation.

You can test now if you want but you may need another week to be sure. Since we don't have more information on your cycle, it's anyone's guess. I'm sorry I can't be more clear but we have no info to work on.

When you do test, let us know - prepare yourself for a negative but hope it's a positive! I'll be hoping too!