Constant bleeding causing panic

Hi there,

I really hope somebody will be able to advise me because I'm driving myself crazy worrying about this.

I am ashamed to say I had a termination in Novemberlast year and I have regretted it ever since. I went straight on to the Depo injection after that, may last injection for that was March this year. In June I started taking the contraceptive pill but after a month and a half I stopped taking them as my husband and I decided we want to start trying for a baby. This was the end of August.

For five weeks, nothing happened and then I got my period on the 8th of September. Well, I bled for 3 and a half weeks although it was light after the first few days. It stopped for a few days and then started again exactly four weeks to the day that it first started. I bled for a week, then stopped for a few days, came back on again.

I have had blood tests which all came back fine. My doctor prescribed me Utovlan (a progestogen) last friday advising me to take 3 a day and then come back and he'd examine me. I took only one a day until yesterday, so 4 days as I didnt want to take more hormones than I had to and it stopped the bleeding. However, my doctor said that as such a small amount stopped the bleeding, I dont need to be examined.

I haven't taken one of the pills today as my doctor suggested just letting my body go back to normal and I've started brown spotting :-( I know I sound pathetic but I'm really panicking because I'm terrified that my fertility is gone or that I have something awful. I have been doing home ovulation kits and I'm not ovulating as well as this bleeding and I'm so scared.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd be so grateful

Hi Susan,

Well I had my pelvic exam done - the doctor couldn't find anything and said he was fairly sure there is nothing wrong and that it is something I just need to "ride out".

He has referred me for an ultrasound though because I'm still worried. I don't know why I'm still so scared but I keep thinking I've got uterine cancer or something - do you think it's likely that he'd have noticed something wrong either with the blood tests or during my exam if that was the case? My ultrasound wont be for another month and I dont know how I'm going to wait that long!

Hi Susan,

Thanks so much. There wasn't a medical reason for the abortion - it was shortly before my husband and I were married and we reacted with panic. We didn't take the time to think it through and have regretted it ever since.

I stopped taking the proestogen because I was worried that it would stop me getting my cycle back and I am so desperate to at least be able to try for a baby.

I had blood tests checking for my thyroid and also for polycystic ovary syndrome but they came back all clear.

I don't have pain often, I get the odd twinge across my lower tummy but not very often.

Thank you so much for your help, I'm such a nervous wreck.

Hi again!

I know how nerve-wracking the not-knowing is. It's a horrible feeling because at least if there was something wrong and you knew it - you could at least know what you're working with.

I was just reading back on your first post and you seem to have brown spotting - this is old blood and may be left over for your actual period.

I'm glad your tests are coming back negative but clearly something else is going on - but there are so many scenarios that we couldn't examine them all.

You do need to call your doctor and tell her you have stopped the medication and the bleeding has resumed, otherwise she'll continue to think all is well. You will also need to schedule another appointment with her to have another evaluation.

Will you do this?

Hi Susan,

Sorry for the delay, I'm in a different time zone.

I have booked an appointment to see my doctor today for a pelvic exam - I'm sort of hoping he'll find something simple like polyps so that I dont need to go any further but we'll see.

I'll let you know how I get on, thank you so much

Katie x

Thank you so much for your question. To get straight to the point of the termination, I'm very sorry you are going through regret but that is not particularly uncommon. But please don't punish yourself by thinking that you have somehow brought your new trouble on yourself by having an abortion - that's highly unlikely that one has anything to do with the other. However, if you still feel such a sense of guilt or shame, I think some counseling in this area is a good idea. Terminations can be terribly difficult for some women and some emotional support or therapy can really help them.

Was there are medical reason for the termination? I'm asking because if you started trying for a baby within months of the termination, there may have been a medical reason for it? Was it something done to protect your health? If so, your current problems may be old problems resurfacing.

If you have been tested for HPV or other infections/diseases and you are negative, and your blood tests are all normal, then have you looked into other gynecological disorders? Aside from infections, what have you been examined for - cysts, fibroids, blockages? If not, then make sure this is looked into.

Also, reconsider going back to the medication that is working for you. It may need several weeks/months to clear things up for you. Since your body is not performing well for you now in it's 'natural' state then thinking about that medication again. Why did you stop, aside from wanting your body to be natural? Were there bad side effects?

I know I've asked you a lot of questions but I'm interested as to what you have been tested for, besides infections.

Does your doctor know you are not ovulating? This can be a sing of PCOS (http://www.empowher.com/condition/polycystic-ovarian-syndrome) although this kind of bleeding is not often seen with that condition.

Also - are you in any kind of pain? If so, can you describe it?

I look forward to talking more with you!

Sorry, the the letter writer again. I should also add that I had a pap smear done along with swabs for infection done a few months ago and all came back normal