Contraceptive pills?

By September 25, 2010 - 8:50am

I'm 16 now and

Just want to know that if I can use Contraceptive pills instead of Condoms...?

And will there be any problems or side effects or will it affect me or my Baby in the future when planning to have one?

Thank You ;-)

Me in Chennai, India and why do I have to consult a doc.? And we are also not planning to use only the pill not both the methods...

HERWriter Guide (reply to JayCook)

Hi JayCook

Birth control pills are a prescribed medication so you will need a prescription from your doctor.

Check with your own doctor's office regarding the regulations in India. I'm sure they are the same.

Using the pill alone is fine, if you take them exactly as prescribed (this will all be explained to you by your doctor or nurse as well as the information packet within your pill box) but it's advisable for both of you (even if both of you say you have never has sex with anyone but each other) to be checked for sexually transmitted diseases or infections before you stop using condoms - just to be absolutely safe. As Melissa said, STDs are a serious health issue and the Pill will not protect from them.

I wish you the best!

Hi Jay,

You want to use both contraceptive and condoms. Here is the reasoning...contraceptive pills will reduce the chance of pregnancy. Condoms will reduce the chances of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Contraceptives will not protect you against STDs.

There are minimal side effects of taking the Pill. Have you talked to your parents about possible birth control methods or went to a doctor? Since you are only 16, you can go to free clinics to speak with a physician about your options for birth control. Usually they are called Family Planning Centers. I can help you find one in your area if you tell us what city you live in.

Each contraceptive type have their side effects and you can read about the different kinds here http://www.contracept.org/.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Can't Find Something?

ASK Moderation Guidelines