could hormone changes during menopause cause sleepiness and weight gain?

in the last 4 to 5 months, i have put on 30 lbs. and being diagnosed with speep apnea in october, 08, i have been using a cpap machine since the first of nov. 08. since about jan. 09, i have excessive sleepiness during the day, even after taking prescribed provigil 400mg daily. when i take it at 7:45 am, i am dozing off around 10 or 10:30 am. and then cannot keep my eyes open by around 5:30 - 6pm. something is wrong! i had a complete blood workup, including liver function, cholesterol, blood sugar, etc. and everything came back normal...but something is WRONG!!! PLEASE HELP! I will be 52 in sept. and also have no sex drive and body hair growth has slowed substantually.

I'm post-menopausal, this after nearly 10 years of fighting the change without HRT. Everyone is different, but most people I know who are going through this hormonal havoc complain about weight gain, sleep issues, low libido and more. If I weren't a marathoner, I'd probably be worse off than I am, LOL!

Not that I am suggesting you start training for a marathon, but, how active are you?

When I started perimenopause I gained 25 lbs, was tired, sleepy, moody and had NO sex drive. Sounds like you've already had a series of tests done, but I'd suggest you ask to have your hormone levels checked as well. Susan provided some great information in her post are you having any other symptoms?
Hang in there, if it is menopause that's making you feel this way know you have treatment options to help you out.

Thanks for your question and we're glad you found EmpowHer!

There are various symptoms in menopause - some women get just one or two, some almost all - some sail through menopause and others have some difficult health issues.

Weight gain is definitely a menopausal symptom.

From our encyclopedia ....symptoms of menopause include

◦Irregular menstrual periods
◦Hot flashes and night sweats
◦Disturbed sleep patterns, insomnia
◦Significant mood changes
◦Dry skin
◦Vaginal dryness and pain with sexual intercourse
◦Difficulty concentrating
◦Trouble remembering things
◦Diminished interest in sex
◦Frequent urination or leaking of urine
◦Achy joints
◦Early morning awakening

Body hair loss or slowed hair growth is also a menopausal sign, as is a decreased sex drive.

Just remember that these symptoms can often be eased or eliminated!

Another thing to remember is that fatigue often causes us to eat unhealthy foods (this always happens to me) and subsequently can cause weight gain.

With regard to your fatigue - a person with sleep apnea who uses a C-PAP needs to check their mask for leaks frequently. What kind of C-PAP do you have?
You can buy a tiny chip for about $50 that slips into your compatible machine and records your sleep pattern. You can then take the chip and insert it in your computer and get a complete read out. It's a really fantastic tool - if you need more information on this, let me know. Your water levels in your machine can also let you know if the machine is working properly. Your fatigue could mean menopausal symptoms or that your C-PAP is working incorrectly.

You are 51 years old - the average woman is 51 when menopausal. Did you get your hormone levels checked? Are you still getting regular periods?

Please give us an update and also visit our menopause page here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/menopause - it has a lot of helpful information!

Menopause Guide