could i be pregnant?

By September 3, 2009 - 6:35pm

I have been off birth control since january of 2008 and trying to concieve. My period has never really been regular except for when i was on birth control. I usually go four weeks between the ending and starting of one. I had my last period on July 24th, it lasted for a week. I had unprotected sex on August 3rd... 4 days after my period ended. Then three days later i started spotting very lightly for about three days. I still haven't started another period yet. According to how my cycle has been i should have started on August 28th. I took a pregnancy test last tuesday and then again this tuesday. They both said no. Does this even sound like it could be a possibility?

I completely agree with having yourself and your husband checked. Personally, I used to have PCOS too and was irregular at that and I did not get pregnant for more than 4 years of trying. Luckily, I had my polycestic ovaries taken cared of and I had been using a fertility monitor called Lady-Comp and voila, I am a happy mommy of a 6 month old healthy baby boy.
Again, you and your husband really should see a physician and if you are pregnant right now, then please do keep us posted as what Susan mentioned. :)

Hi Kelly

Home pregnancy tests, when taken correctly, are quite accurate so you may not be pregnant. You may just be very irregular which is very frustrating when trying for a baby.

However, you could be pregnant and your hCG levels (the pregnancy hormone) are low - too low to be picked up by the test. If your period doesn't come in another few days, take another test. And if it's still not here in a week, I suggest you have blood work done to see if you are pregnant.

The spotting you had, based on your dates, may have been implantation bleeding which means you are pregnant - that kind of bleeding may be a good sign!

However, since your tests are currently negative, don't assume anything yet.

And since you have been trying to get pregnant for 18 months now, it's probably time for you and your husband to seek medical advice on why you are not getting pregnant. You may have PCOS or another fertiltiy issue - or your husband may have. You can then work on your options.

Best of luck to you, I hope you have some excellent news for us very soon! Will you keep us updated?