Do you know about Stevia? If so, what do you think about it?

By June 26, 2008 - 3:53pm

I have been trying to use Stevia, a natural sweetener, in my coffee instead of sugar for the past couple of weeks. It does taste a little different, but it's not bad. Have you used it? What do you think about it? Do you think it is safe?

Hi Lowengail - great question!

I did not realize that Stevia was so controversial!

Because of some studies that suggested it was unsafe, the FDA banned it in 1991 but then changed it's mind and allowed it's use as a dietary supplement in 1994 but does not allow it as food additive which angers the Stevia makers because they say the FDA is calling it both safe and unsafe.

Many others have said that the FDA is bowing to the big artificial sweetener industry - an accusation the FDA naturally denies.

The use of Stevia in food is also banned in the European Union as well as many other countries.

But it seems that all this banning might be a bit of hysteria and many are hoping to see it fully allowed as both a dietary supplement and also in foods we buy or eat.

Yes, I do know and use Stevia. I'm not too crazy about the taste, but it's not too noticeable in iced tea or on fresh fruit.

I've been using Organic Zero in my coffee. It has about 75% of the sweetness of sugar, but it's okay, and also good on fresh fruit. It's not artificial, but from a sugar alcohol produced naturally in the fermentation process of fruit and vegetables and that occurs naturally in our own bodies.

Someone recently mentioned using agave as a sweetener. I've not tried that, yet; but, she said it's like using honey. Yes, it's from the same plant that tequila is made from, lol! Supposedly, agave is low glycemic (because it contains a low amount of fructose), so that's a good thing.

Healthy Eating