Does coconut oil improve the effects of alzheimers disease?

Hi, my nan has recently been diagnosed with early stages of alzheimers disease and I have been researching into ketasyn and MCT's. I don't know whether I am clutching at straws but I want to do anything I can to improve my nan's quality of life. I was wondering if you had any information regarding MCT's and using coconut oils in your diet in order to fight the disease. I am especially interested in learning the quantities of these substances required in order to see a positive effect on the sufferer. Thank you for taking the time to read my query, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks again

Michael McCormick

Hi Michael

There has been some correlation on coconut oil and the treatment of Alzheimer's and that's good news. However, the benefits seem to be temporary. But if taken every day, temporary could be longer lasting than we think.

We have an article on this specific question that I think can help you understand more:

As to what the dosage would be - that is something you should discuss with your mother's diet. But from what I have read, a little at every meal has been shown to help.

Let us know what you think of the article!

Alzheimer's Disease

Alzheimer's Disease Guide