High Blood Pressure

High Blood Pressure Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: Does coffee affect your blood pressure?

By Carrie Margaret Allen

I have had blood pressure tests at various times. I am lucky that my blood pressure is generally good. However, sometimes if I have a coffee, my blood pressure spikes, yet at other times, it makes almost no difference. Is there a link between coffee/caffeine and blood pressure? Are certain types of coffee more likely to increase your BP or is it strictly related to the amount of caffeine in the drink?

Anonymous

Hi Carrie, 

Welcome to EmpowHER. It's unclear what can cause the spike in blood pressure. But it's believed caffeine can blocks a hormone that helps keep your arteries widened. Caffeine does not have a long effect on the blood pressure. Things you can do, try decreasing the amount of caffeine a day. If you do plan on cutting back, do so gradually to avoid headaches symptoms. Hope this helps?

Daisy