Does degenerative disc disease mean I shouldn't get pregnant?

By June 11, 2010 - 11:28am

I just turned 40. I also just got diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in my lower back, which sometimes barely bothers me at all but sometimes causes severe lower back pain.

I'm in physical therapy now to strengthen my core muscles etc. to help with my back.

Does this diagnosis mean that I should not get pregnant?

Hi I m 33yrs,even I have DDD n I have a son who is 10 yrs and now n I m planning for my second child but I m worried about my back .I am heavy in weight n if I plan for my next pregnancy will I have a chances of being paralyzed.

That is something you'll have to discuss with your doctor, based on the condition of your spine and your general health. At 33, you have youth on your side so make an appointment to talk about this.

Hi I'm 28 I find out at 22 that I had DDD which had been causing me pain for years. I have always been worried about having children. I am now 9 months pregnant and it's been a hard road. I refuse to take pain meds so when I'm not at work I usually confine myself to my bed. I have ended up with inflamed hips from the pregnancy which had made it difficult to walk. I am still worried about delivery bc of my back, I was told a few years back that I was over doing it and could end up paralyzed. The one thing that has gotten me through is water stretch therapy and spending time in a pool. I would recommend water therapy to everyone so if your looking for help with pain call local physical therapy offices and see if they offer it. I'm still worried but I know he'll be worth everything in the end.

Thanks so much for this information, Anon. 

This can really help our readers.  Water therapy is indeed sonderful and a water birth, if possible, may help too. 

Good luck with your delivery! 

hi i am 28 yrs old. i have 4 yrs old child. at the ge of 23i came to know i ve DDD. now i want to plan my 2nd baby. but my husband is not convinced me to get pregnant with this disease. he says it ll be painful for me. pls give me ur suggestions

Is your husband a specialist in this area? If not, I suggest you see one to get a medical opinion on your situation, as well as physical evaluation. I'm sure your husband is looking out for you but seeing a specialist will let you know more.

Hi I'm 28 years old and was diagnosed with degenerate disc disorder at 18... I have had 3 children, which has made it worse. I found out by the chronic pain specialist that having a caesarean section"finished it off".... Basically because they had to cut through muscle and nerve endings its made things worse.... If i haven't shown signs off improvement in 2 years they saying i will be on disability living allowance and permanently on the sick.... They have also said i COULD wake up one morning and be paralyzed from the waist down and never walk again.... I'm so scared.... I have 3 young children and my partner has epilepsy (which is not controlled/managed).Anyone with a positive story or any ideas to help please do.... I don't know what to do thank you.

Hello I'm 26 and have had DDD since I was about 20. The first couple years were horrible. I am 26 now and decided with my husband to try and have a baby even though I have DDD . I'm about 5 months now and from time to time through out the day I have pain in my back and legs. I just started to get severe back and leg pains at night I toss and turn trying to get comfortable. Does anybody know any suggestions for me? I asked my Dr. All she said was try a pillow behind and in between my legs I've tried that and hasn't done much for me? Thanks , netta.

How did the rest of your pregnancy go? How are you now?

Hi Netta!

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I am sorry you are in some much pain.

Would sleeping on an incline help you? Do you have a big comfortable recliner or one you could borrow? If you generally sleep on your back, this might help a lot. When I was pregnant I always had the pillow between my knees (I still do it to this day) and it helped but I didn't have DDD.

A full body pillow might be better than a regular pillow. Some women  I know with back pain and painful joints love them.

I hope you find comfort soon!

Degenerative Disc Disease