does displysia come back after a cone biopsy?

I had a abnormal pap smear and the a biopsy . i had severe displysia and hpv..i had to have a cone biospy right away.. i am going to have another pap in nov. that will be my 3 month since surgery. it did come back that my abnormal cells were cancer but the doctor is pretty sure she got it all.. i have had some depression since my cone biopsy. is this normal?

I had the cone done where they went in and removed the cells back in Aug. Went back to the Dr a few weeks ago because I was having the same symptoms as before got my results back and sure enough its back again and hasn't even been 6 months since I did the cone surgery done. I go the 29th to the Dr that did my cone and nervous that it came back so soon. Any body else have this happen?

hello 8 yrs ago i had severe displacia and had to have a cone biopsy done. i had to follow up ever 3 months for 1 yr and the after every 6 months.. well its been 3 yrs sense my last pap and it was normal.. but im terified that maybe its back... can it come back after a cone biopsy? do i need to worry?

Hello. I am 27 yrs old. I will be going in on Monday march 4 to get a cone biopsy done. I have two boys one is eight and the other is two soon to be three. My dr said I have precancerous cells around and above my cercix. He said with the cone biopsy it will get all cells out. But I am afraid that it won't get the cells above my cervix. Every night I think and cry that after the surgery it will all come back and become straight cancer. And for me to think that I feel as I gave birth to two beautiful boys for nothing. To not see them grow up. And feeling like that really upsets me. I keep thinking that the sergury won't clear it all. I have been trying to find out the chances of cancer accurring after surgery. Does anyone know??

I was wondering how everything turned out for you. My
Mom just recently found out after doing the cone biopsy.

Thanks so much for everyone that has wrote to me..You have helped. God Bless you all

I have had "bad cells" removed too. Cary's right, if found early, most abnormal cells and cervical cancer can be treated. Being at high-risk for developing the condition is not a death sentence. At least I hope it's not, I have been treated three times for precancerous cells on my cervix. I had a LEEP, a colposcopy, and cone biopsy. I have luckily not had a recurrence since last being treated in 2004 or 2005 (can't remember which). I was very scared about the word "cancer" too. It's OK to be scared and a little depressed, but like Cary said, if it goes on too long, you may want to talk with your doctor about it, and/or join a support group (maybe even a couple Groups on EmpowHER!), to get you headed in the right frame of mind again.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

the word that i didnt spell right is Colpscopy Biopsy

Anonymous, I have been through what you are going through in the year 1992 I was diagnosed with dysplysia in my pap smear test but soon after the pap test I fell pregnant with my first child. They couldn't treat me for the condition until after the baby was born. But then I had a problem because I was due for 6 weeks specialist appointment for the newborn as well as 6 weeks appointment for dysplysia clinic for surgery. The dysplysia clinic said that the pediatric appointment will have to wait for this is life threatening and putting it off today could have deep consequences. So before surgery was done I went around to pediatric clinic and told them that I have to put off appointment today for I am due for surgery in 10 minutes, so they had no choice but to reschedule another appointment time. The findings were vaginal cysts and they were lazered off there was also a cone biopsy but no cancer cells were present. The doctors were concerned that the cysts were spreading. I had to wait another 6 weeks to have a vaginal ultrasound to see if the cysts were spreading, they discovered that the cysts were spreading to my ovaries there were several that they found the doctor said that I was running out of time having children because the way the doctor saw it that the cysts were taking over and would be difficult falling pregnant. Yeah and I had a bout of depression not been able to conceive again I wanted to try again when my baby turned 2 but it wasn't happening I was put on depaprovera a form of contraception via injection and it only made things worse. then when my child was three I wanted to do some thing about it. I made a visit to the specialist doctor to help me and my partner to conceive he prescribed a reverse medicine so I could menstruate again and then gave me hormone medicine to conceive a child it took 2 years nearly before my second child came along and the specialist doctor was about to give up on me until he discovered that I was finally pregnant I was so happy. But I tell you it took a long time and a lot of patience, just about every night we had to participate into love making hence after I took the medicine. So what I am saying here if you are clear of all abnormal cells there might be a 50% chance of you not been able to conceive with out the help of medicine. So if this is what your stressed about don't worry there is help out there.

Anonymous (reply to wizzy989)

Thank you for your response but i have two children 17 and 16 and NO i dont want anymore. LOL. I had a pap smear test and it came back abnormal so i did a biospy in the office which came back severe displaysia and high risk HPV. i had not had a pap in 16 years cause of not insurance. but i know i could have went to the health department so i am blaming myself for this. anyway she told me i would have to have a colobiopsy (Spelling isnt right) so i had this done and she said i had precancerous cell and needed a cone biopsy asap. so i had it and it came back it was cancer but was not invasive where it had spead any and she said she got it all. I think my depression is just knowing it was cancer and what if there is a cell she didnt get and its growing inside of me. I have to go back every three months for another pap smear for the next 2 years to keep a watch on this. Thanks for your listening ear

Hi Anonymous

I have been in your shoes. I had cervical carcinoma in situ, a cone biopsy and a LEEP. It is scary. You are afraid they didn't get all of it, you are worried about what that will mean, if it is still there or returns will it spread? It is totally normal to experience some depression when dealing with this situation.

Those cells can come back. They can miss a few and they can grow more. That is why you go back more frequently for check ups, to be sure that doesn't happen or if it does, they catch it right away and take care of it. We do have an article about this can may help you: http://www.empowher.com/cervical-cancer/content/cervical-cancer-preventing-often-deadly-form-cancer.

In my case, I had a young son, severe dysplasia, and carcinoma in situ which means cancer that hasn't spread. I had the cone and also had to have the LEEP where they cauterize the entire area. That was about 14 years ago. I had the surgery, had all the follow ups, had a couple of abnormal Paps here and there but they were always just irritation and nothing more. So it IS scary, but they likely got all of the cells, and if they didn't, they will. Cervical cancer caught early is quite curable.

If the depression doesn't lift, please discuss it with your doctor. In the meantime, I know you will be worried but please know the odds are in your favor. Good luck and if we can help you further, please let us know.

Cervical Dysplasia

Cervical Dysplasia Guide