Does progesterone make you sleepy?

I've been recently using progesterone and also noticed I'm a little more tired... Any relation?

Anonymous

I was on the Nuvaring for many years. At 53, my doctor decided it was time to go to the estring and suggested 100 mg progesterone in tablet form to go along with the e-string. From the first night after taking the progesterone, I slept much better and had less back pain. I liked that. But soon I realized that it was too strong, making by breasts sore, etc. I also noticed that I felt sleepy all day even though I only take it at night. I went off it and soon had a period, and then went back to back aches preventing sound sleep. I went on a bio identical progesterone cream that is about a 20mg dose each day. I had less pain again and slept better, but I am still tired and sleepy all the next day. Does anybody know how you can get the advantages of better sleep at night without feeling sleepy all day the next day? Any little tricks or supplements that can help with that? Someone else had this problem. If you have found an answer, I would love to hear it. I would also like to get the booklet.
Thanks a lot. Good luck everyone with getting your hormones balanced and working well!

Anonymous

SO I just started taking progesterone and I am extremely tired today driving I felt like I was going to fall asleep at the wheel, thank you for the post.I will now take a night!!!!

Anonymous

Yes, progesterone it has calming effects, which reacts much like having a glass or two of wine. That is why progesterone should only be taken at night. It will help you sleep.
The induced calmness can impair your reflex response, when driving or performing other tasks that require your full engagement.

Anonymous

Progesterone make me fatigued and tired.
I try not to take it during the daytime.

Anonymous

Sorry 200 not 20 :)

Anonymous

I'm taking 20g per day to "kick start my period. I lost both my parents within a month of each other 4 months ago, and I think the stress just messed with my cycle- although it is one less thing I have had to deal with throughout this ordeal. I can say it makes me so tired and lightheaded I wouldn't be a le to do anything if I wasn't taking this at night. The closest comparison I can make is being pled full of benedryl. Glad it is only for 7 days!

Anonymous

Yes, I think there could very well be a relation between your tiredness and the progesterone. When I was on it (for post-menopausal issues), I felt tired and sluggish. My doctor brushed my concerns aside, but on the Internet I found lots of posts from women who felt bad on progesterone. One friend of mine told me she felt like she was in a black hole while on it. Under the guidance of another doctor, I decreased and then stopped my dose, but as I posted earlier here, after two weeks I still don't feel 100% normal. I'd like to know if it took others awhile to feel normal.

Anonymous

Has anyone stopped progesterone because of the side effects? How long did it take you to feel normal again? I stopped two weeks ago and still don't feel quite right and am wondering if that's to be expected.

Anonymous

I would love a book too if they are still available!! Thanks so much! Experiencing extreme fatique taking bioidentical progesterone cream. Thanks!!

I just had a hormone panel done, as I have been on bio-identical hormones for the last 3 years, and just guessing at where my numbers were at according to how I felt. I am only taking 100mg of progesterone and still noticed it could make me tired, depressed, and fuzzy. My progesterone level was a bit elevated but not as high as I thought it might be. My Dr said I need to take 100 mg or progesterone for at least 12 days a month along with the Estrodial. Is that accurate?

Menopause

Menopause Guide