Effectiveness of Birth Control

I just started my first pack of Tri-cyclen Birth Control Pills. It says on the box that I should take it at approximately the same time each day, so I take it each day somewhere between 9-11pm. My friends have been telling me it should be at the EXACT same time each day. My bf and I have not engaged in sexual activity yet, and I know that it takes about a month before the pill becomes fully effective, but since I did not take it at the exact same time each day since I started taking the pill, how much longer must I wait before the pill is fully effective?

Firstly, while it is important to take your pill *around* the same time everyday, taking it at exactly the same time is both unrealistic and unnecessary. Taking it between 9-11pm is fine - just don't let it go too much longer than that.

Secondly, if you are a Sunday starter - you do need to use a back up for at least 7 days - you are not safe from the beginning.
However, if you are a Day 1 starter, you do not need a back up.

Anon - make sure you confirm this with your doctor if you are unclear. It's important to call your own health care provider when in doubt. Your pharmacist is also a great resource!

Thank you for taking care of your own health like this!