Endometriosis and Surgery

By December 6, 2011 - 10:08am

Last week I went to the ER because I ended up having severe pain where my cysts are located. They did some blood work and an ultrasound, but found no ruptures of the cysts or anything. And they gave me painkillers for the pain and ended up going home the next evening. Surgery was not possible at that time because my gyno (he came to see me) said he could not do it as the ER is overly booked. And I was originally waiting for a surgery appointment to be booked, but did not have a scheduled appointment until last week when I called in. Reason I called in is because my gyno said he would put in a note to push the surgery at an earlier date rather than in 2012. However, the earliest I got in is mid-January 2012. I do not have severe pain as of right now but do experience pain throughout the day and I take advil or something to help ease it. I cannot take the painkillers my gyno has prescribed because I work and I cannot obviously be feeling sleepy/drowsy throughout the day.

Since my gyno has told me that I would require surgery, he has said he would do laparoscopy. I have done a lot of research and noticed that a lot of people with endo and have had surgery, got a laparoscopy done. I am just wondering why my gyno would say to do laparotomy instead of a laparoscopy? I know for the one he is saying to do takes upto 4-6 weeks of recovery and/or depending on the client. I am supposed to meeting my gyno next week to discuss why he is wanting to laparotomy instead of laparoscopy.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this situation before and could just give me suggestions as to why he may just do this type of surgery versus the other.

Hi pasntai

What an update! I will surely pass on this information and best of luck with your surgery. It sounds like it's going to be a pretty stressful time for you but I know everything will go well.

Again, keep us posted and it's wonderful to hear from you again!

Hi Susan,

Currently my cyst meaures 7x6.7 and the other is 6x4.5. I have two one on the right and one on the left. He has never mentioned how severe it really is or why he has chosen the laparotomy method. I have decided to make an appointment with my gyno next week to discuss why he has chosen this option rather then the other....so i will definitely find out. I just thought I would ask on here to see if anyone would have a bit of an idea or has experienced this before or not.

(reply to pasntai)

Hi Susan,
I know you wanted an update on things were going and so I am updating you now.

Since I last wrote on this was in December 2011. Since then I came across this network for Endometriosis and through that network, I found a endometriosis specialist in Toronto and ended up seeking a second opinion. The 2nd opinion was so helpful and I received much more information then my current gyno had given me. My endo is fairly large and I also have nodules as well which I had not known before. The 2nd opinion gyno was concerned as to why a laparotomy was being done instead of a laparoscopy. And I was questioning that decision myself. After speaking to the gyno in Toronto I had decided to get surgery done in Toronto and it will be a laparoscopy. It will be a long surgery as I have stage 4 endometriosis (I had not known that either from my gyno where I currently live).

I have still been getting pain on and off randomly as well. I was also told by the 2nd opinion gyno that even though I was on birth control pills, I was to avoid the week of the “sugar” pills (so the week I get my period) and the reason for that was to avoid aggravating the endo. My gyno here did NOT once suggest that nor did he explain that part either. My gyno here did not provide enough information for me to feel confident and comfortable for him to perform the surgery. With the 2nd opinion gyno, I felt more comfortable and confident because they were giving me a lot more information than expected. The gyno in Toronto also suggested going on a diet, either gluten-free or dairy-free etc. And my gyno here where I currently live did not suggest anything of that sort.

I am going to be having surgery done in April of this year in Toronto and will be doing a full recovery there. That is my update…if you know of anyone that has endometriosis and is having similar issues with their doctor’s or anything at all concerning with endometriosis, please do tell them to seek a 2nd opinion if necessary and there are specialists that deal just with endometriosis around Canada that can help a great deal.

Hi again!

I suspected that you did indeed mean invasive surgery (laparotomy) but I wanted to make sure!

I'm sorry you have to wait so long for surgery.

It's very unusual for your doctor to want this. The only time this is done is when the endometriosis is very severe and cutting into the body is really required. Is it so severe, do you know? If it is, then unfortunately you may have to go through with this but make sure you talk to him beforehand. As you mentioned, recovery will take a long time (up to a couple of months), as opposed to two or three weeks the other way.

Please let us know the outcome!

Oh jeez, I am sorry! I didn't even realize that. I meant my gyno wants to do laparotomy instead of laparoscopy.

Hi Pasntai

Thanks for your post.

You said several times that your surgeon wants to do a "laparoscopy" instead of a "laparoscopy" (the same thing.)

Do you mean he wants to do invasive surgery instead?

Endometriosis Guide