Is eustachian tube dysfunction permanent?

I am an otherwise healthy 33 year old female. Six weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night with a sudden severe ear infection that supposedly turned into eustachian tube dysfunction that is affecting both ears. I am currently on Flonase, Astelin, and Augmentin. I just stopped taking Allegra D last night, as I was only supposed to take 14 tablets. Is eustachian tube dysfunction temporary, or will I have to suffer for the rest of my life? Thank you.

For the benefit of our readers, the eustachian tube is a small canal that connects the middle ear to the back of the nose and upper throat (nasopharynx). Its purpose is to equalize the air pressure in the middle ear with the pressure outside it.

Eustachian tube dysfunction (ETD) occurs when the tube fails to open during swallowing or yawning. This results in a difference between the air pressure inside and outside the middle ear. It causes discomfort in the ear and temporary hearing problems.

This condition is not generally permanent but can be chronic in some people.

To deal with ear clogging, discomfort, or pain, you can try:

Swallowing, yawning, or chewing gum to relieve the pressure
Clearing your ears by breathing in and then gently breathing out while holding your nostrils and mouth closed
If the symptoms do not go away within a few hours or are severe, your doctor may recommend the following medications:

Nasal or oral decongestants
Oral antihistamines
Nasal steroids to relieve nasal congestion and enable the eustachian tube to open
Pain medications (eg, acetaminophen or ibuprofen )

In rare cases, a myringotomy may be necessary. The doctor makes an incision in the eardrum to allow the pressure to equalize and the fluid to drain.

Talk to your doctor about your progress and to see what else can be done to speed up your recovery.

Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

Eustachian Tube Dysfunction Guide