Extreme mestrual cycles

I always had extremely painful cramps with my periods. After I had my son, my periods resumed after 3 months and I was breastfeeding at the time and when my periods started back up, they were no big deal. No pain, normal bleeding, normal duration etc. Now my son is 19 months old now and oh my goodness. I'm literally terrified of my upcoming period. Not because of pain, but because I turn into an absolute monster the week before. Enough to where it's effecting my personal life and relationships. I'm extremely wheepy, irritable, depressed and just plain mean .. but only the week before I start, for the entire week. I'm aware of the behaviors so I try so hard to control them when I know they're coming but I can't get ahold of myself. And on the second day of my cylce, I will go through a super tampon every half hour to an hour for probably 12-18 hours straight. Enough to where I'm scared to go to work because people will notice how often I'm rushing to the bathroom to change my tampon. I'm against any medications or birth control and prefer no serious intervention. I guess what I'm looking for is a possible diagnosis. HEEELLLPPP

I guess I should include my age. I'm 24, 5'7" 120lbs, perfect vision, no health problems, no complications with pregnancy or delivery, no allergies, no dental issues, no previous broken bones/surgeries, no blood pressure issues ever and never have been on any type of long term medication.

Hi again

With regard to exercise, a hour 3-4 times a week or 30 mins 5-6 times a week should be good - it's doesn't have to be anything huge.

Regarding your periods - a lot of women have extremely heavy periods after they have children, often for a few years after. So much that it almost seems like a miscarriage. I have heard for many mothers who say they go through this after having kids.

If you are still worried, call your doctor.

We cannot provide any kind of diagnosis, only possibilities.

It sounds like Pr-Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder might be something you need to look into.

From our PMDD page: Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) occurs just prior to menstruation and is characterized by significant:
PMDD is much more severe than PMS .

PMS affects about 75% of women. PMDD affects 2%-10% of all women during their reproductive years. With treatment, the condition can be managed. Some women no longer have any symptoms once PMDD has been diagnosed and treated.

Symptoms include:
■Extreme sadness
■Frequent crying
■ Feelings of anxiousness or nervousness
■Unusually strong cravings for certain foods
■Difficulty concentrating or paying attention
■Panic attacks
■Mood swings
■Fatigue or lack of energy
■Physical symptoms include sore breasts, headaches, joint or muscle pain, swelling, and bloating

Treatments include:

Lifestyle Changes

These steps can help manage symptoms of PMDD:
■Regular exercise 3-5 times per week
■Get plenty of rest
■Eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains
■Diet should also exclude sugar, caffeine, and alcohol

The following can help manage symptoms of PMDD:
■ Antidepressants ◦ SSRIs (eg, Paxil , Prozac , Lexapro )
◦ Others such as Wellbutrin

■Nutritional supplements

You can read more on our PMDD page here:

Anon, do you think PMDD is a possibility?

Exercise to what intensity? I'm a very active single mom. My diet has always been great. I do not drink soda, I eat salads almost daily and only have 1 cup of coffee a day. I don't do really intense activities but I park a block away from work to get the extra walking distance in, plus I go on a hike every weekend so that's at least 3 miles of hiking a week, if not more. The symptoms of PMDD very much so describe what's going on with me the week before my period. What about the extreme bleeding though?

PMDD Guide