fellopian tubes

By September 21, 2010 - 6:16am

hi, in 2007 i had both of my tubes removed my tubes had been tide and burnt for 9 years. my husband and i want to get pregnant and now my period is 2 weeks late, i am 36 years old. could i possibly be pregnant.

Tubal ligation is about 99.9999% effective at preventing pregnancy, as the egg must travel through the fallopian tubes, where the egg is fertilized. Your period is most likely late due to other reasons, and it would be a good idea to take a home pregnancy test to rule out this reason since you are having unprotected sex.

If you are interested in getting pregnant, have you talked with your doctor about your options?

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

Thanks for replying, no I have not talked to my Dr. because I thought that I would have to see someone in fertility, plus I am getting ready to change my job perfession. Right after I posted the email my cycle started, it hasn't been normal this time but it's here. Do you have any suggestions on fertility? Thanks again.

Hi Mrs Virtuous!

Only your doctor can advise you on fertility, and the possibility of getting your tubes restored. He/she will probably look at your medical history in detail (including the surgery done to tie your tubes in the first place) and will likely them refer you to a fertility specialist.

How successful this may be generally will depend on the shape your tubes are in now. There is usually no second attempt for reversal so the first attempt is generally the last. Make sure you go to a well qualified and certified doctor.

Have you had children before? Did you at one time think you would not want more? If so, then at least you know that you are able to have kids which is a good thing. It'll be the tube tie that will really factor in here. A specialist can help with that. There is always hope and women certainly have had successful reversals but realistically, your chances can be anywhere from 25%-75%.

I hope this helps!

Hi Susan, sorry I am replying so late. I think I explained my situation wrong I do not have any felopian tubes they were tied but in 07 I got pregnant and my tubes were removed I do have 3 sons but not with my husband, we have been together for 11 years and we both want a baby. I did not want more children before I met my husband because in my previous relationship there was a lot of verbal and mental abuse issues and I kept getting pregnant I tried to put him out, the police stated is was just as much his home as mine so in order not to bring another child in that relationship I had my tubes tide. I finally got rid of him and met my husband when my youngest son was a year old and we have been great ever since. He is a great husband, he is always here for the children and I not to mention he allowed my parents to share our home because of my mom getting ill, he understand that this may not happen because of the tubal removal but at least want to try. Thanks so much for chatting with me and God Bless.

HERWriter Guide (reply to mrs.virtuous)

Hi again!

My fault too, I also misread your question, I think!

I'm so glad you are out of such a bad relationship and in a really good one now. Good for you for getting out!

If you have NO fallopian tubes, then you can get pregnant but it would have to be via IVF - invitro fertilization. This can take some time and is very expensive but it can certainly work.

Do you think you and your husband are in a position to do this?

I hope to hear back from you soon!