Fibroids and enlarged uterus

Hi, I am 48 years old, proud mom of identical 24 year old boys and having some "female" issues. Heavy and frequent cycles (every 14-18 days) lasting up to 6 days. I am about 5' 9" and was....135-140 #, the last 6 months is when I started getting my periods so frequently and heavy and am currently 146 #. Went to my GP with my concerns and she ordered the ultrasound. Here's what it showed...uterus is twice the size is should be (at 11.9cm at length) and I have 2 Fibroids...1 @ 4.3cm and the other at 2.7cm. I asked...Is this what is making me feel so bloated? OB stated yes...like you are 3 months prego....confirmed!!! LOL.....I also have a 1.8 cm simple cyst on one ovary. She said the "burning the uterinal lining is not an option) and did the biopsy. She ordered another ultrasound next month. Dr's words...we will see what the biopsy tells us and we will see what next month's ultrasound tells us (growing or not). We will decide at that point to do anything or nothing.

I'm certainly hoping for good/negative results, but hate the bloated/pregnant belly. I know that there is a minor surgery that can be done (I think) to destroy the fibroids, but is there anyway to "shrink" the uterus? Or do I have to go buy another wardrobe because my pants are terribly uncomfortable. I work long days and am at a computer most of the day which makes it more uncomfortable. Any advice would be appreciated!!!! Thanks for reading.....CC

I would like you to know that an embolization was a great avenue for me. I had one fibroid the size of a fist and the other the size of a golf ball. Dr. Kwan of St. Josephs hospital in Paterson New jersey did the surgery on me and now even my period is shorter days and the uterus is no longer enlarged. I will not tell you that it does not hurt, because it does and I was happy after the same day surgery I was sent home but then ordered for one week to stay in bed. After that procedure I must say I am so happy no more problems. I had this done in 2006.

Hello mother0ftwins48inwi,

I would like to welcome you to the EmpowHER community. Thank you for reaching out to us with your concerns about uterine fibroids and an enlarged uterus.

Uterine fibroids are one of two common causes of an enlarged uterus.

Uterine fibroids are common noncancerous tumors of the muscular wall of the uterus. Eight in 10 women are diagnosed with fibroids by the age of 50.

In severe cases, treatment may involve a procedure called embolism to cut off the blood supply to the fibroids so that they shrink and eventually die, or surgery to remove the fibroids or the entire uterus (hysterectomy). Other treatments include endometrial ablation (when the inside lining of the uterus is removed) and myolysis (when freezing or an electric current is used to destroy the fibroids).

During your next appointment with your gynecologist, discuss the treatment options that are available to you. Consider making a list of any questions you may have and bring that to your appointment.

Wishing you well,

Uterine Fibroids

Uterine Fibroids Guide