Fluid on the knee

I had a total knee replacement a year ago. I have been having alot of pain. Now they drained some of the fluid in my right knee. Why would I have fluid on the knee when I had a total knee replacement. Also what does it mean? They took the fluid and did a byopsy on the fluid, what are they looking for??

Anon - It's not usual to have fluid buildup after knee replacement surgery, it comes from wear and tear on the knee. The biopsy is most likely a precautionary measure to be sure there is not a malignancy.

The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons says that athletic activities can cause wear to the joint, resulting in pain, fluid buildup, and inflammation. In some cases doctors may need to do a revision surgery to prevent the pain and inflammation. You can read more here:

Can't Find Something?

ASK Moderation Guidelines