Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD OF WASHING YOUR FACE WITH JUST WATER??

By amandaw88

I USED TO HAVE SUPER CLEAR SKIN AND NOW THE PAST YEAR MY SKIN HAS TURNED MORE OILY. I HAVE TRIED PROACTIVE, EXPENSIVE DEPARTMENT BRANDS AND SEVERAL DRUG STORE BRANDS. ALL OF THEM NOT MAKING MY SKIN FEEL ANY BETTER. ALOT OF THE TIME THE PRODUCTS ARE DRYING OUT MY SKIN AND MAKING IT RED.(ESPECIALLY AROUND THE NOSE)

MY MOM HAS ALWAYS BEEN TELLING ME TO QUIT USING ALL THESE HARSH PRODUCTS ON MY FACE AND TO JUST WASH MY FACE WITH A LUKE WARM CLEAN FACE CLOTH. SHE HAS ALWAYS WASHED HER FACE THIS WAY SINCE SHE WAS A TEENAGE AND HAS GREAT SKIN.

I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE WASHES THEIR FACE THIS WAY AND FINDS THAT IT WORKS???

aerislina

Hi There!

I know EXACTLY what you mean! When I was in high school, I used to get compliments all the time about my face, and then usual question - So what do you wash it with? I just stared blankly, very confused. I washed it with NOTHING but splashes of water from the shower. No soap, no cleanser, no nothing. I didn't even moisturize!

So after that incident, I started using moisturizer because I somehow got the idea that moisturizer would keep my skin younger on the long run. Then that led me to using face wash to wash off the moisture. Then that whole ordeal got even bigger as my face soon became PARCHED. Not only did it feel dry and tight, but my pores were getting bigger. The worst part? Nothing I bought in stores made my face as fresh, clean and HEALTHY as water did.

So I did a whole lot of research and found out why my skin was becoming terrible. The chemicals that they put into face washes, moisturizers, masks, toners, etc, JUST HURT YOUR FACE IN THE LONG RUN. And it makes sense. It's a business. The more people's faces get worse, the more people demand for more products. The cycle goes on. You try a cleanser that's going to wash your acne away. Little do you know it's actually making it worse. What's the next thing you do? Go out to the store and BUY ANOTHER ONE. It's a never ending cycle of harming your face. It never ends until you realize what's making your face worse.

I'm in my early 20's. Only started washing my face at 18 y/o. Ever since then, I've never gotten any compliments about my face anymore. Instead, I ask people what they do to their face. Their reply?

"Nothing really."

timeforme

Amanda,
I wash my face at night with a cotton pad and cool water. Sometimes it takes two or three pads, but I wipe it very gently and never use soap. All my life, I had great skin and never any worries... until 2nd child and in late 30's. Suddenly my face became very sensitive and everything I was using felt like it was tearing my skin apart. I was diagnosed with Rosacea which increases the red pigment inmy face, but it also helps to develop bad pimple like cysts around my hair line and occasionally on my face. Those are very painful but since I started on the prescribed topical cream -metronazidol and the daily antibiotic meds (minocycline), things have improved dramatically. I use a liquid exfoliater for my face that has zero amount of partices in it - as it would likely tear up my skin again. I use it 2 x a day and it does help a lot!
Before I was able to determin what is going on, you should really see a skin doctor. But in the meantime, all i can say is that the cotton pad does a great job and leaves little mess.
good luck and let me know you are doing

Hi Amanda

You Mom may well be on to something! Washing your face with water (definitely warm water for your pores) should be fine for you if you have no skin problems. I wear makeup so I needs more than warm water but if you don't use any skin products (other than sun block which I hope use) then water alone is certainly not going to harm you. And keeping that cloth very clean is also a great idea.

If you feel it's not cleaning as deeply as you like, washing your face in natural oatmeal (oatmeal is great for the skin, I bathed my babies in it) or yogurt.

To tone you skin (restoring balance after cleaning) natural methods like rose or cucumber water works well.

And always moisturize and use sun block. Give your face a really good massage a couple times a week to help with blood flow and use a really gentle exfoliant (like slightly damp oatmeal). Natural aloe vera is a good moisturizer as is ylang ylang and chamomile.

For the acne you are experiencing, try drinking green tea, eat fresh, organic foods where possible (don't worry, you can still have some candy or chocolate if you wish, we're not out to ruin any fun!) and drink lots of water. Stop drinking soda - I swear that stuff is poison.

I'm not sure how old you are but if you are in your teens/early 20s, remember that hormonal fluctuations happen that affect skin and you may have to wait some of the acne out for a couple if years. However, using some of the tips above can help.

Let me know what you think!

So I say take your mom's advice and add in some other natural methods listed above if you like. If you see your skin improving, then keep up that particular regime.

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: